• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

On 'Nozzle Test' print my RJ6100 is flooding paper with solid black

IanK

Can anyone help? I've had my Mutoh RJ6100 since new, and it has not been particularly hard worked. My problem is with the printer, not the software. Even when trying to do a 'Nozzle Test' print with the pc turned off, it starts firing ink before the edge of the paper, and prints nothing but solid black (all inks firing).

Looking at the back of the paper after the test print, I can see that it IS printing the lines and letters, but from the front, they are obscured because of all the ink which is being laid down.

Last time I used the printer, it was working perfectly, although when starting up this time, the print head got caught in the paper. Will it be out of alignment, and if so, does anyone know how to sort it? I've never had this before, and have looked in the forum for similar, but can't find. The user manual is not particularly helpful.
Thanks in advance for any help you can give

Last edited:

artbot

you probably have a loose data cable or bad head. maybe bad cable. being that there was in impact, it's should be the head.

attached is a photo of my printer with a loose black cable.

Attachments

• black lines.jpg
    black lines.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 169

IanK

I'll give all the cabling a tweak, and let you know. Never thought about uploading a picture!

IanK

I've tried the connections - they all seem ok. Could the ribbon cable under the top cover be goosed somehow? If so, does anyone know where I can get them? I've attached a couple of photos which show the problem.

ps - i've removed the plug for the papercutter in photo 3 - it's not missing!!

Attachments

• DSC02178 (Custom).JPG
    DSC02178 (Custom).JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 176
  • DSC02179 (Custom).JPG
    DSC02179 (Custom).JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 165
  • DSC02181 (Custom).JPG
    DSC02181 (Custom).JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:

artbot

what the head color configuration on that printer? what type of heads? last time i saw two color stripe like that it was a fried board on an fj50.

IanK

Hey! I don't know about the configuration, but to the best of my knowledge, the printheads are Epson. Fried boards sound ominous :(

jhanson

You've got the old "DX3" heads -- 3 channel, 180 nozzles total. I'd say your head bit it. Only good news is that it's relatively easy to replace compared to newer printers.

Not sure what the current pricing is especially out there in the UK. The only part dealer I know of out in your area is Tech8...