• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

On-site vehicle wrap training

IthacaNick

Hello Signs 101,

With everything the last year has brought I am sure many of us have changed our business models and likely I am not the only one looking to train some new employees.

Before going to any of the bog boys in the industry for generic training I wanted to see if anyone here was interested in showing some new guys the ropes on some of our vehicles in house. We only have one type of vehicle so I would rather we learn on what we will be applying to.

Happy to listen to thoughts on how to best get this done.

Would rather talk specifics in pm.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Could you be a little more specific ?? Your profile says you know nothing about this industry, so what really is your request ??

Val47

YouTube can be very helpful. Make sure you look at several video instructions. Don't go with the first thing you see. and it's free... all the more reason to try to weed out the bad instructions. Takes research. if you are willing to learn, you would be willing to research. :)

Don't expect any great advice to your OP, unless you can be specific about the advice you need.

...and welcome to S101 :welcome:

IthacaNick

Appreciate the replies. Happy to be more specific in pm. We are in the middle of some rebranding and I don't necessarily want to be that transparent.

That said I am not a wrap or print company but would like to bring some of the business in-house to help keep my guys employed, as opposed to outsourcing. I have a fleet of vehicles that we are rebranding so if I could get my guys trained in wrapping my vehicles it would make more sense than sending them off to a generic training with a different application. As a small business I wanted to see if anyone here who maybe was struggling with business or who was out of work but a veteran in the industry wanted to take a shot before I called up some of the more corporate training groups for this.

Not trying to step on any toes, just trying to see if we can't help each other out. Thanks all!

Christian @ 2CT Media

I started my career at a company who brought all of their wraps in house, needless to say I'm not there any more and they no longer have an internal department since I left 12 years ago.

You will find much resistance here for what you are asking, as you may not realize it yet but you are asking us professionals to help you take work away from us. It's not going to go well.

As for in house training, good luck... There aren't many services like that. Look in to Lowen Certified for universal training.

IthacaNick

Yea I get it and can see how it looks. My intent is much more to give someone a little down on there luck an opportunity to make some money. Not sure that we will go this way but we don't have any shops within 100 miles of us and even just moving equipment around gets pricey. If I can find something that works for both sides, Great! If not, then like with everything else we will pivot.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Don't mask your intentions... offering to give someone "down on their luck" the opportunity to train you makes you sound sincere??? AKA you want someone out of work that can provide you with cheap training that you don't want to pay full price for. If they can wrap and are out of work something is questionable about their skills. You are wanting to do this for a business decision and finical gain...which is OK... just don't masquerade as you're just trying to help someone "down on their luck"

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Just because someone can wrap doesn't mean they can train. I have seen lots of installers that can get the job done but they have a lot of bad habits that can lead to failures.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So, while you're looking for a lost soul, you wanna help them, but screw the local sign shop which is legitimately trying to run a business ?? You're willing to f*ck over your local businesses to save a few bucks. Sure hope that business model don't take off none too quickly.

As for me....... take what knowledge you've gained here and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

IthacaNick

Yikes, tough group here.

The easy move is to bring in a trainer from one of the vendors. Probably even cheaper. I actually expect it to be more expensive here.

Thanks for those of you who have pm'd and offered suggestions. Appreciate the help for sure.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
I don't have a problem with him wanting to expand his business. I have a problem when material suppliers like Fellers and 3M try and circumvent and undercut us.

Chances are he will learn the value of our industry and end up outsourcing it again anyway. See it all the time. Pay to train the employees and they find out they like it and can make more working in a wrap shop. A local soft drink distributor just started hiring our their installs again.

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Let me ask you, ithica....... once you skirt around the truth of being your real reason here..... how will you help this community once you've acquired your new found knowledge ?? Do you think you'll be able to help others with your fleet of trucks ?? What line of business are you really in ??

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Gino, they can't possibly learn enough in 2 or 3 days to be competent. They will have tons of information thrown and them and will only retain about 20%. Someone in our industry will make good money training.

I do understand your frustration, but I have seen lots of companies try and do this and it never lasts. They also seem to be more appreciative when they come back. They never factor in the cost of a vehicle being out of service for days instead of 1 at the most, how the reduced quality and failures affect their companies brand, and paying for replacement prints.

FatCat

Gino, they can't possibly learn enough in 2 or 3 days to be competent. They will have tons of information thrown and them and will only retain about 20%. Someone in our industry will make good money training.

I do understand your frustration, but I have seen lots of companies try and do this and it never lasts. They also seem to be more appreciative when they come back. They never factor in the cost of a vehicle being out of service for days instead of 1 at the most, how the reduced quality and failures affect their companies brand, and paying for replacement prints.

I agree with Jester, and to be honest my other thought is if a wrap installer is any good, he's not going to be "down on his luck" or looking for work. If anything, there is a shortage of good installers -- at least where I am at. If you can wrap a car, get it done right and not take forever you can basically write your own check from smaller shops or shops that don't want to bring install in-house.

Anyone they might find and would train them cheap would most likely be a hack. Wrapping is one of the skills in this industry that you have to learn over time - after you've done dozens and dozens of vehicles you might be OK at it, but the guys that can knock out a van or truck in less than a day by themselves -AND- do it without wrinkles or mistakes have years of experience and charge for it.

Pewter0000

Graphic Design | Production
Yeah we are definitely finding a shortage of (good) installers at the moment. I totally understand wanting to learn a new skill to add to your business, though it's really an experience thing rather than a "get taught and then do it" thing, so it might not work out in this instance. If you're looking for something cheap, try some local students. They won't be experienced whatsoever but they might have some training fresh in their brains. A local print shop or installer probably won't have time for teaching you.