• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help One more.. Mimaki CVJ30-100 - No ink

JD DesignSwe

Hi Everyone!

Need some advise!

I bought a used Mimaki CJV30-100 that I knew that there was problems with printing. I bought 4 new ink cartridges and did all the nozzle wash etc and manual cleaning. I have ink in the lines and dampers, but not one drop from the head.
Could it be any other hardware thats broken?

Does anyone have any tips or should I just buy a new pritning head?

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
How long had it been idle/were the lines flushed etc before you bought it? There’s a good chance if it’s not been used by the previous owners, it’ll probably have been the head and they’ve decided it’s not worth the money to fix.

I take it you’ve done all the generic stuff like “fill up ink” from the maintenance menu?

JD DesignSwe

They told me ( noticed she didn't know a lot of it) that she has been using it för 1,5 year, than it suddenly stop printing (no ink) she called Mimaki support in Sweden, but she didn't hade the money for a tech guy to come and look at it so she left it with power and cleaning cartridge in for like 3 month that I bought it.

Yeah did the fill ink a couple of times.

Neil

When you do your ink fill/cleanings, do you see fresh ink pooling in the cap top? (Before it gets drawn out by the pump).
You can see it when the head moves off to perform it's first head wipe. The cap should be about half full of ink.

You should also get a good amount of ink on the wiper.
This is a good indication of whether ink is being pulled through the head properly.
I have to clean my wiper blade every time when I do a cleaning.

If not, then you need to get the ink drawing through the head properly.
Check cap top is sealing properly, is clean and not warped, pump tubes are connected and not blocked, the 3rd hole under the cap top is plugged.

JD DesignSwe

When you do your ink fill/cleanings, do you see fresh ink pooling in the cap top? (Before it gets drawn out by the pump).
You can see it when the head moves off to perform it's first head wipe. The cap should be about half full of ink.

You should also get a good amount of ink on the wiper.
This is a good indication of whether ink is being pulled through the head properly.
I have to clean my wiper blade every time when I do a cleaning.

If not, then you need to get the ink drawing through the head properly.
Check cap top is sealing properly, is clean and not warped, pump tubes are connected and not blocked, the 3rd hole under the cap top is plugged.

Hi, I looked clooser this time, no ink in the cap top (I have also changed to a new cap top). Just a hint of something "black" on the wiper the first time, then, nothing.

Tubes from the pump are ok, you can see the cleaning fluid when I do a nozzle wash.

I did a 18 hours nozzle wash (turned the power of so it was in the fluid all the time) Absolutly nothing when I did a test print.

I have done a lot of sublimation and got heads clamped. But even if the head was "busted" you could see some visible ink on a test run.
But maybe not on a machine like this? I have no problem to buy a new head, just wanna be sure its not something else :)

One more thing, when I loosen the dampers and "press" on the side its poor ink from then, so I think that the ink is coming thru ok to the dampers?

Neil

It sounds like you should check your cap top is sealing air tight, check the 2 tubes underneath are connected properly to the cap and the pump, the 3rd hole is plugged, check that the head is parking onto the cap properly. Dropping the head to low position may help get a stronger seal.

If there's any air leaks between the head and the pump, you won't get any new ink coming through.

Clean the cap top and clean the bottom of the head with cleaning solution. They have to be 100% clean to create an air tight seal.

JD DesignSwe

Should the printerhead move at all if the fuse is broken?

Edit: I did lower the head, nothing. I also took out the printerhead and cleaned it outside of the machine (nothing to loose :) ). Put it back together, did a nozzle clean, and Ink fill up. Nothing again. When I did the Ink fill up and put a flashlight on the tubes under the ink cartridges and noticed that the magenta ink hade a lot of air bubbels in it, and the bubbels did not "move" when the pump was running. But I suppose if the nozzels are 100% clogged nothing goes thru.

Thanks for all help & tips!

Last edited:

Neil

The nozzles are never 100% clogged.

When you had the head out, did you flush it (inject cleaning fluid into it)?
If you have the right tubing, you can connect from syringe onto head nipples and push fluid through the head (slowly! carefully!)
It's the same size tubing that runs through the pump.

You can see the fluid coming out through the nozzles.

You can do this with the head installed too - just be extra careful you don't end up squirting fluid anywhere - especially around the ribbon cables.
Best to turn the machine off and unplug it beforehand. Cover everything with cloth rags.
Push the head over to the left, remove that cover so you can see under the head as you do it.
Inject into each nipple. You should get drips at least, a jet stream at best from each channel.

If you're getting fluid coming through, inject some ink into each channel of the head. Just draw a bit of ink from a cartridge- any colour - and push it into the head so you know there's ink in there. Then try a test print and see if anything shows up.

If it does - hooray - it's not electrical fault. See my posts above to try to work out why the pump isn't pulling any ink through.