• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

One shot paint

qmr55

Hey guys I am getting ready to paint a helmet and looking for my best options. Using a smaller hvlp spray gun.

Can I use one shot with reducer to thin it out some? I am doing special colors so I don't want to have to buy quarts of paint just to do a helmet and one shot comes in small cans so I figured it'd be perfect.

So what I'm really asking, is one shot my best option? Can I reduce it?

Thanks!!

dolce05

i used to be a big airbrush artist with one shot.. If your doing a helmet with one shot. First you want to prep surface correctly. Second you use reducer to thin the paint and add a dash of one shot hardner. This will make the paint cure better and if you (I hope you will) clear coat the finished product, the hardner will keep the paint from reacting to the clear. Otherwise the clear acts like a thinner on the paint and will make it lift and peel. plus with hardner you can then mask over the layers of graphics without leaving track marks.

and the best piece of advise I have for you take the time to test all this on a scrap piece of aluminum before ruining a customers helmet. Best of luck

Chris Dolce

qmr55

Thank you guys! Got some good ideas, ordered some more paint tonight and can't wait to get it started!

Keep the info coming I'll read it all!!!

g&eprinting

I use one shot and auto air colors.

Use auto air colors if you are new to this. Much easier to work with.

Buy an airbrush too. You will love it.

Jillbeans

I'd be quite reluctant to use 1S, it has let me down so often.
Especially if you need a clearcoat, I'd be terrified of orange peel.
Have you tried Hot Hues? What about HOK?
Or Createx?
Love....Jill

Arlo Kalon 2.0

I'd be quite reluctant to use 1S, it has let me down so often.
Especially if you need a clearcoat, I'd be terrified of orange peel.
Have you tried Hot Hues? What about HOK?
Or Createx?
Love....Jill

As usual, one of our resident smokin foxes hit it right on the money. House of Kolor urethanes are what all the helmet painters I know use and I worked with at least half a dozen of them when I pinstriped for 4 years at a motorcycle factory. Looks like you've already gone the 1Shot route, and nothing wrong with that if you follow the excellent advice already given for it. If this leads to more helmets for you though you really should switch to HOK for the rapid drying times and ease of clear coating over the raw paint. Good luck with this... and TAKE YOUR TIME in between coats.

qmr55

Hey guys thanks for the answers! As far as using HOK I would love to, I use a lot of HOK painting cars but I can't seem to get it any smaller than a quart and we all know I don't need a quart of paint to do a helmet! I did order the 1shot but I think I might try a few of the things you guys suggested. And yes this is definitely getting clear coated. Looking at hot hues and auto air now.

Thanks again everyone!

CES020

As far as using HOK I would love to, I use a lot of HOK painting cars but I can't seem to get it any smaller than a quart and we all know I don't need a quart of paint to do a helmet! I

Go to tcpglobal.com and go into their airbrush side of things. You can get all the HOK paints, prethinned, ready for the airbrush in 4 oz bottles. for about $10-12 per color, depending on the color.

Stuff works like a champ, right out of the bottle.

You can also get the clears, pearls, and metallics same way.

Border

Go to tcpglobal.com and go into their airbrush side of things. You can get all the HOK paints, prethinned, ready for the airbrush in 4 oz bottles. for about $10-12 per color, depending on the color.

Stuff works like a champ, right out of the bottle.

You can also get the clears, pearls, and metallics same way.

Great link/info, thanks!

I used to also do lots of custom painting on larger stuff but have turned down the small stuff due to not being able to buy small quantities of expensive colors.

This is a great find!

visual800

you will regret using one shot on that helmet, i woudl strongly suggest NOT doing it clearcoated is going to get you a little longer down the road but it aint worth it, i dont know why sign people are still using the crap

Sign-Man Signs

Nothing but lacquer automotive paints. (Dupont) I keep a gallon of each, red, blue, yellow and then mix my our colors. Never a problem.

qmr55

Thanks guys! By the responses I got here, the $50 worth of one shot I bought can sit on the shelf, I'll try something else!

Thanks again everyone.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Why don't you try the 1Shot on a piece of anything and after it dries.... spray one or two dry coats on it and be sure you've built up enough clear before you clear it completely ??

Once something has a few dry coats, foggings, mists... whatever you want to call it.... you can generally clear the livin' daylights out of it like anything else.

been doing it that way for over 40 years and still not a problem.

I understand the 1Shot isn't what it once was, but it still works... and if you have it on hand, why not at least try it, before you give up ??

qmr55

Gino, good thought! I have an old motorcross helmet at home gonna try some stuff on it tonight. Just an old white helmet, not worried about that getting messed up.

Thanks!