• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

One-Shot Reflective Paint????

Neon RTG

Back in the day, I used a white reflective paint that One-Shot made. Any one know of any paint that is reflective like scotchlite? And where I can get it?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I honestly don't remember any 1Shot reflective paint. Do you mean neon or fluorescent colors ??

We had a thick white paint.... and we could tint it if need be..... and it was the base for tiny glass beads that you'd pour over the paint and then clear it when it dried. That's how fire hydrants and other city signs were painted years ago.

Craig Sjoquist

What Gino is talking about 3M does not make anymore , just reflective vinyl / tape.

1 shot silver they have but thats not what your talking about.

Road crews use a paint that needs to be heated and they sprinkle beads on it before it cools by hand.

ChicagoGraphics

I remember 1 Shot reflective paint came it quarts was about 80 bucks way back then, you might still be able to get it at Rayco, 773-267-5200

round man

Back in the day(pre 1975) when we worked for 3M painting billboards we would on rare occasions get a work order to use 3M scotchcal,..it was a liquid based adhesive(sometimes tinted alot like the modern day urethane clears) and the reflective beads that you poured over the adhesive like smalts. It isn't made any more and Minnesota Mining and Malfunction has discontinued its production,...seem to recall something about lightning being very apt to strike any wooden structures with the stuff on it,....it made for some interesting burnt up signs along the expressway