• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Online Wikis?

What is your experience with online wikis?

• I have operated a wiki

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • I have participated in a wiki

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • I have only read a wiki

Votes: 14 31.1%
  • I have no experience with wikis

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • I don't even know what a wiki is.

Votes: 19 42.2%

• Total voters

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
If you subscribe to the notion that truth is a product of consensus then they may be your cup of tea. For the most part truth is indeed consensus. As Ludwig Wittgenstein observed "Things are what it makes sense to say about them." But this doesn't mean that each and every fruitcake opinion should be accommodated.

Bigdawg

Just Me
I like wiki's but the information isn't always as factual as it would be for say, an encyclopedia. They're a good reference resource, but you can't take the content as absolute truth.

ScottyDoo

I'm thinking of setting up a wiki at OnyxTalk, but not sure if I want to. I know that Onyx themselves already have an internal one and heard rumor they are considering going public with it...though that's just rumor.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The reason for the thread is that I've been asked to be the editor of a proposed wiki covering anything to do with sign making and digital printing etc. I can see where it could become an efficient way to develop coverage of a wide range of material but am concerned about how to efficiently assure the accuracy of the material.

Ken

It would seem redundant, as a search at signs 101 (or other forums - sign/design/manufacturers FAQ's) would garner most everything relevant. However, I image there could be a revenue stream for the inevitable advertising associated with a public forum.
To assure accuracy on any given topic an editor would have to be assigned..defeating the wiki concept and the desired efficiency. To be able to simply erase and re-load with whatever BS someone may come up with seems...dubious , to me. I prefer the threaded dialogue so all opinions can be voiced and seen by others.
I was listening to an interesting radio show today about this guy who took it upon himself to be a constant editor at Wikipedia on the topic of Hillary Clinton.( yes, hes a Democrat supporter)...anyway it's a never-ending job (unpaid) for him. He claims to only "replace" untruths and to be un-biased.
Imagine a wiki on application fluid???
Good luck...Ken

cOrKinSA

The hardest part I would think would be that everyone will be biased on what is the best software, equiptment, material and so on all while missing the point. What someone finds to be the best solution can easily be edited because of there terrible experience or their favortism towards the other.