Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Onyx 18

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by K Schutt, Jul 3, 2018.

1. K Schutt

K Schutt New Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Traverse City
    Has anyone upgraded to Onyx 18 or had any experience with it? Just looking for some feedback, thinking about getting it.

Tags:
  2. SignMeUpGraphics

SignMeUpGraphics Moderator Staff Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Australia
    Pauly seems to be first out of the gate with it.
    We should have it by August. Just sorting out some licencing issues.

3. Pauly

Pauly Colour Guru

Feb 14, 2016
    Melbourne
    I'm generally stuffing around with anything new from onyx. :D But yes i do have a fully functional version of onyx thrive x18.

What would you like to know?

4. MJDallas

MJDallas Premium Subscriber

Jun 10, 2018
    Dallas, TX
    I'm playing with the trial version now. It has crashed a few times- other than that seems good.

5. Emd2kick

Emd2kick Member

Jan 18, 2018
    New Jersey
    Seems almost identical to previous version so far. Only items that didn’t transfer for us cut server settings.

6. CL Visual

CL Visual Member

Jun 8, 2016
    Copiague, NY
    I ugraded 2 weeks ago. I haven't noticed any differences so far.

7. K Schutt

K Schutt New Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Traverse City
    I was curious on how it handled color, we are using RASTERLINK6 and are thinking on switching to Onyx 18.

8. Pauly

Pauly Colour Guru

Feb 14, 2016
    Melbourne
    Very well in my opinion.
    Media profiling is very good, It has a lot of options to go though. You'll probably see threads where i hate the icc engine (mostly uv printers), but once you understand how it works, it's actually very good but sensitive.
    Colour management is real good with onyx. A lot of options and easy to get to.
    I do recommend having a spectro (X-Rite i1Pro) to get full use of its features.
    If you're not comfortable using a spectro to create profiles, you can re-linearise the canned profiles and they should do a pretty good job in replicating colour.

Download the 30 day trial - https://www.onyxgfx.com/downloads/
    Fully functioning, but try the one you want to buy as there's a few. - http://www.onyxgfx.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Products_Comparison_2016_dark_letter.pdf
    Also if you get Onyx Advantage, You're able to access the training videos which are very handy for someone getting onto onyx. There's hours of training in different parts of onyx.

9. K Schutt

K Schutt New Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Traverse City
    Thank you very much that is exactly the kind of information I was looking for.

• Like Like x 1
  10. AGCharlotte

AGCharlotte Member

Feb 28, 2018
    Charlotte, NC
    How's it compare to Onyx 12? I'm still running Onyx 11 and I've been planning to upgrade to 12, but now 18's out so ... wrench? :)