• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Onyx file naming (multiple files)

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Using onyx x18 and demo of x21 until my licence comes.

Im printing a lot of files at once on the roll-roll. lets say 500 files. I'll use "group jobs together"
Onyx will nest the files to the way i've told it to.
Onyx will then tell me total length.
When i go and sent the files to my printer (Oce Arizona) it sends them as individual lengths (max length that i've set in onyx). Which is great and all.
But all the file names are the same. ???

Is there a way to get onyx to automatically label each length/job as "job_1" "job_2"

As right now i have 20 rolls to print, all with the same name. Different images though.

Is there a way i can change this so it's less confusing?

Bly

Have you got labels turned on?
If so it should print each file name at the bottom of each.
You're opening and nesting them in Onyx right?

ikarasu

Doesn't it add ~1 ~2, ~3 to the end? It doesnt really help if your printer works like the FB500 and the filenames are so short... but yes, I hate that as well.... so if you figure it out, let me know!

Onyx has great support - You can E-mail them and they'll usually reply within a day. They may know some way to do it... But I have a feeling it's printer specific.

I belive for our flatbed, and for onyx cutting... It'll use the name of the first (Or last?) File in the queue as the job title. So you'd have to send each group differently rather than having them all queued and hitting print... but thats the best work around that ive found. IE... have 100 files in the queue, hit send...unpause the next 100, hit send, etc.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
I'm not sure this is possible in conserve/group jobs modes... I experience this when I print thousands of labels (from different files) at once, broken up into 1.5m long chunks. I just get a whole pile of job names identical to the first file name proceeded by a list of sequential numbers per "sheet" in CutStudio.
I just match up the barcodes during cutting and it will use the correct file. Can be painful now that my barcode reader is broken, but not the end of the world.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Have you got labels turned on?
If so it should print each file name at the bottom of each.
You're opening and nesting them in Onyx right?

No lables (not needed)
its the file name that comes up on the arizona monitor. i have 20 files of the same name. I'd like them to say xxxxx_1 xxxxx_2 etc

Doesn't it add ~1 ~2, ~3 to the end? It doesnt really help if your printer works like the FB500 and the filenames are so short... but yes, I hate that as well.... so if you figure it out, let me know!

Onyx has great support - You can E-mail them and they'll usually reply within a day. They may know some way to do it... But I have a feeling it's printer specific.

I belive for our flatbed, and for onyx cutting... It'll use the name of the first (Or last?) File in the queue as the job title. So you'd have to send each group differently rather than having them all queued and hitting print... but thats the best work around that ive found. IE... have 100 files in the queue, hit send...unpause the next 100, hit send, etc.

yeah i see what you're saying. i dont have time to sit there wait and pause for 20-30 files at a time
i may email them though - good idea. i'll wait till im on a contract again (end of month)

I'm not sure this is possible in conserve/group jobs modes... I experience this when I print thousands of labels (from different files) at once, broken up into 1.5m long chunks. I just get a whole pile of job names identical to the first file name proceeded by a list of sequential numbers per "sheet" in CutStudio.
I just match up the barcodes during cutting and it will use the correct file. Can be painful now that my barcode reader is broken, but not the end of the world.

exactly what im getting.
I kind of get it. it's the same job, but still gets confusing.

Bly

Pretty sure the only way is to turn labels on and print the filename next to each.
We never do that on the flatbed though.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
I’ve noticed this on the Colorado but it’s a minor inconvenience. Maybe depends on how you’re setting up jobs and your individual workflow?

The only way I could potentially think about getting around this is making it print each row at a time then turning the auto print on so you don’t have to manually send all the rolls? On our Colorado it would end up naming them all correctly but it’d mean there’s hundreds of individual files instead of just one file per roll.

Doesn’t really bother us anyway as once a job is sent to the Colorado onyx sends it to archive, then it’s stored on the Colorado. Once printed on the Colorado it gets deleted automatically. So no wondering if I’ve printed it or not.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
You could use layout manager but that is pretty manual and slow

Layout manager is to slow.
I guess i'll have to deal with it. silly though.

I’ve noticed this on the Colorado but it’s a minor inconvenience. Maybe depends on how you’re setting up jobs and your individual workflow?

The only way I could potentially think about getting around this is making it print each row at a time then turning the auto print on so you don’t have to manually send all the rolls? On our Colorado it would end up naming them all correctly but it’d mean there’s hundreds of individual files instead of just one file per roll.

Doesn’t really bother us anyway as once a job is sent to the Colorado onyx sends it to archive, then it’s stored on the Colorado. Once printed on the Colorado it gets deleted automatically. So no wondering if I’ve printed it or not.

Can't do it that way. as we're planning for a fotoba XLD, then they need to be nested anyway.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
I’ve got around the nesting problem for our flexa before. I was sending files individually that need the double marks, but sending each file with a single mark top and bottom and told the Colorado to put “x” gap between every new job. Creating double mark’s when printed after each other.

Was the easiest way to send all the files (about 30 rolls worth) that included the flexa marks AND all we had to do was just keep loading rolls. No checking if it had missed copies etc. If the roll ran out doing a unique poster it just picks up from where it left off.

Not sure if you could do a similar thing when sending to the fotoba.

Using onyx x18 and demo of x21 until my licence comes.

Im printing a lot of files at once on the roll-roll. lets say 500 files. I'll use "group jobs together"
Onyx will nest the files to the way i've told it to.
Onyx will then tell me total length.
When i go and sent the files to my printer (Oce Arizona) it sends them as individual lengths (max length that i've set in onyx). Which is great and all.
But all the file names are the same. ???

Is there a way to get onyx to automatically label each length/job as "job_1" "job_2"

As right now i have 20 rolls to print, all with the same name. Different images though.

Is there a way i can change this so it's less confusing?
Not sure if this would work but if the files are exported together as one pdf, you can break them apart in onyx and it will label each as 1, 2, 3...etc. But that is only if the art files are in the same file. On occasion we will come across a multi piece file with different quantities. Just be sure to turn the label on