• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Onyx Install cannot find USB Key on Network

Hello All -

I have Onyx installed on a server in our server room and the USB license dongle is installed in that server. I'm trying to install onyx on a second work station in our print room, but during the install I get the message that the install software cannot find the dongle (see attached screenshot). I opted to install the "non key required components" which gave me access to the onyx key viewer application. Using that application I can see the license key (see the other attached screenshot), so how can I get the RIP software install to find that dongle?

thanks!

Attachments

• key file screenshot.PNG
    key file screenshot.PNG
    32.2 KB · Views: 678
  • key not found error.PNG
    key not found error.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 541

Bly

Pretty sure you need another licence to run the rip on a separate PC.
You can run Job Editor on a remote PC if your key permits it though.

FrankW

Should work with Thrive.

Try to install with the dongle connected directly, and set the dongle back to the Server after the installation. Could be that the dongle drivet needs to be installed initially.

If this dont work either, check firewall settings.

Pretty sure you need another licence to run the rip on a separate PC.
You can run Job Editor on a remote PC if your key permits it though.

Hi Bly, I have Thrive 862 and have it running on multiple computers in our workshop, this is the first time I can't get it to find the dongle, so I don't think that is the issue (we have paid for multiple licenses of Job Editor and printers since we have more than 2 workstations and 6 printers and we've had problems where all licenses are used up but this is different.

Should work with Thrive.

Try to install with the dongle connected directly, and set the dongle back to the Server after the installation. Could be that the dongle drivet needs to be installed initially.

If this dont work either, check firewall settings.

Thanks for the suggestion FrankW, I agree that it will be easier to just move the dongle back and forth, but it's a pain is the butt and we've installed the license in the server room to ensure it doesn't get lost/damaged and I've been able to access it before remotely.

I should add that I'm trying to install Onyx on a parallels VM on a Mac we currently use for running Caldera (we are considering migrating from Caldera back to Onyx). Either way I'll just end up moving the dongle for the next few days since my IT guys get today and tomorrow off so I'm doing this work by myself.

Thanks for the suggestions!

FrankW

That could be a problem with VMWare because with that configuration Windows and Mac shares a network connection. Haven‘t tried that.

WildWestDesigns

That could be a problem with VMWare because with that configuration Windows and Mac shares a network connection. Haven‘t tried that.

I would try to set it to "host connection", then it's really just the Mac and the connection is being pass through. If you have it setup to where the Windows is it's own connection, that could be were the problem is.

Alternatively, setup a connection using IP addresses. Pass that specific IP address to the VM.

If you have to use the license over a server connection.

With a VM, it would actually be easier just to pass through the dongle to the VM itself and not mess with a sophisticated network connection. Things like this is why software vendors don't support programs over a VM.

I will call Onyx support today, the VM has the dongle mounted to it directly and still can't license. Not sure why, the Onyx Key software sess the key so it's just not detecting the key for some reason.

We use to use onyx on several (4 or 5) VMs before moving to Caldera and never had issues, so I was surprised when this came up (although we've had many issues with Onyx and bugs over the years so I shouldn't have been too surprised).

Thanks!

WildWestDesigns

I will call Onyx support today, the VM has the dongle mounted to it directly and still can't license.

I don't know about Onyx, they may, but the software vendors that I've dealt with don't give support once they realize that their software is on a VM. They prefer bare metal installs only (which I can understand), but they may. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Not sure why, the Onyx Key software sess the key so it's just not detecting the key for some reason.

So, a piece of software "sees" the dongle within the vm, but it just can't access it? It almost sounds like a permissions issue. It's like the permission is set to "list", just not "access".

Hello All -

Just wanted to provide an update for anyone who comes across this issue in the future. Turns out that Onyx's error messages are very vague and should be updated to be more specific. The problem was that I had downloaded V18.5 from the Onyx website but at the time my license was for V18 (I have a support gold contract so they updated my key today and the install went fine). So if you get an error that says you can't find the key, check to make sure the version you are installing matches your license on your key.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Thanks for the update... no doubt someone will get caught by this in the future. Probably me when we move from 12.2 to 18.5 o_O as we also do the VM thing.

Grizzly

It’s all about your print!
Hello All -

Just wanted to provide an update for anyone who comes across this issue in the future. Turns out that Onyx's error messages are very vague and should be updated to be more specific. The problem was that I had downloaded V18.5 from the Onyx website but at the time my license was for V18 (I have a support gold contract so they updated my key today and the install went fine). So if you get an error that says you can't find the key, check to make sure the version you are installing matches your license on your key.

18.5 is finally out? They've been sending me emails since last September telling me I'm "missing out" on all the new features of 18.5. Yet, when I went to download it, it wasn't available. Is there really anything different from 18 to 18.5?

Go figure, I just found the release date of December 17th. I had a support call on December 14th and talked to them about it and he said it probably wouldn't be available until January.
Of course, they couldn't send me an email telling me it was actually available with a download link. Sorry, rant over.