• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Onyx Print and Cut Cutting off Center?

zosX

I have a print and cut job that no matter what I do it is cutting about a half inch off center. I've never had a problem with an onyx print and cut before so this is odd. It was a job we ran previously so I just ran with the existing preflight settings. I went to cut it out and the cut file isn't matching up. Its also really a massive file. Something is going awry here. I tried altering my cut layer and sending that over and cutting with the new file, but obviously it changes the placement because the outside dimensions are slightly different and I ran these 6 up. Any ideas on how I can salvage about 60 feet of material? I tried making a cut file in Flexi, but without the specs on how onyx spaces things (or a whole lot of trial and error), I don't know how I'm going to make this work really.

At this point I'd be more interested in knowing how the hell it happened in the first place. Even the recreated file cuts off center for some reason. I throw in another job on the cutter and it cuts fine, so its obviously something with this file that's throwing everything off.

C

ColoPrinthead

Are you using a Summa cutter? I am and my cuts are off .4375" in the feed direction (close to .5"). You can offset your cut paths and send the file to print and cancel it before it starts printing and Onyx will generate a new cut file that should work.

greysquirrel

The only time I've ever seen a summa cut that far off is if you are trying to rotate the cut file in cut server....that does not work and will corrupt the file or if the material is loaded the wrong way.

hazartilirot

I have a print and cut job that no matter what I do it is cutting about a half inch off center. I've never had a problem with an onyx print and cut before so this is odd. It was a job we ran previously so I just ran with the existing preflight settings. I went to cut it out and the cut file isn't matching up. Its also really a massive file. Something is going awry here. I tried altering my cut layer and sending that over and cutting with the new file, but obviously it changes the placement because the outside dimensions are slightly different and I ran these 6 up. Any ideas on how I can salvage about 60 feet of material? I tried making a cut file in Flexi, but without the specs on how onyx spaces things (or a whole lot of trial and error), I don't know how I'm going to make this work really.

At this point I'd be more interested in knowing how the hell it happened in the first place. Even the recreated file cuts off center for some reason. I throw in another job on the cutter and it cuts fine, so its obviously something with this file that's throwing everything off.

There is not enough information.

1) Are you sure you load the correct edge (not upside down) into your cutter?
2) What alignment mode do you use? In case you work with Summa:

The OPOS settings are explained in detail in section 3, except for the Alignment mode. There
are three additional alignment methods available on all SummaCut cutters: X-Alignment, XYAlignment
and XY-Adjustment.
These alignment methods can be used if the combination of mark colour – media colour cannot
be read by the OPOS sensor.
These alignment methods require that the user manually registers marks, using the cutter’s
keypad. Most cutting software can put these marks around the printed graphic automatically.
X-Alignment compensates for errors in the media alignment, and therefore graphic rotation,
by rotating the graphic’s contour. This alignment method requires that the user specifies the
origin as well as one point along the X-Axis. Distance parameters are not required. X-Alignment
is the easiest alignment method.
XY-Alignment compensates for errors in graphic rotation and skew. Skew errors occur when
the graphic’s X and Y Axes are not perpendicular. This alignment method requires that the
origin, as well as one point along both the X and Y Axes, are specified.
XY-Adjustment compensates for errors in graphic rotation, skew, and scale. Scale errors occur
when the graphic’s printed size is different from the graphic’s original size, as created in the
imaging software. X-Distance and Y-Distance parameters are required. These parameters
define the distance between the origin and X-Axis point and between the origin and Y-Axis
point. XY-Adjustment is the most accurate manual alignment method.

3) Is your problem occurred with a specific file or any jobs your print/cut?

4) Have you tried to cut the file using WinPlot instead of Onyx Cut-Server?