• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Onyx Production House 12 RIP-Queue not loading

Devon Teneycke

Koncet Sign Group - Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Hi guys,

I have a ticket in with Onyx to solve this problem, but they've been working on it for weeks without much success. Thought I'd see if anyone here has had similar problems.

We recently upgraded our RIP computer and upgraded our Onyx software from 10.1 to Production House 12. But right from the start, it has been very problematic. Aside from occasional random crashes mid-use, which I can understand as just an issue that comes up with any software sometimes, it is sometimes almost impossible to boot back up after shutting down.

Here's the unfortunately normal chain of events. We shut down Onyx for one reason or another, whether for a crash or just because we needed to reboot the computer for some reason. Sometimes it will reboot normally the next time we try. But more often than not, when we click on the icon to restart it, nothing happens, almost literally. Watching it from the processes tab of Task Manager, you can see the process briefly begin in the list, but then it disappears before the splash screen comes up. No warnings or error messages come up, it just doesn't start. This only happens to the RIP-Queue. The CUT server, Job Editor, etc, all start perfectly every time.

At that point, I try many things to try to help the next boot attempt. I've repeatedly tried using the start up icons; gone through the task manager to make sure the program and all of its associated processes are shut down; restarted the computer; completely powered it down and unplugged it to power it down and purge it as much as possible; etc...nothing seems to help. It will eventually start like nothing has gone wrong after multiple, MULTIPLE attempts to start it, and will run fine until the next crash or shutdown. After that, it's anybody's guess as to how hard it will be to start again.

We brought this up with Onyx, and they seem mystified as to what is going wrong. Solutions we've tried based on their suggestions that haven't worked are:
- Having the new PC repeatedly checked and tested to make sure all the parts are working fine and are up to spec for the program. They are all coming up perfectly fine, and no other program crashes like it.
- Replacing the RAM (2x Crucial DDR4 8GB sticks)
- Uninstalling and re-installing Production House 12
- Clearing all jobs from the Onyx work folders, in case one of them in buggy and causing an error.
- Creating a custom .exe file for the program to create a more advanced crash dump file.
- Editing the registry for the files
- Rolling back the key software to an earlier version

I'm at a loss at this point. Has anyone ever encountered anything like this before? Can anyone suggest a solution, or at least a place to start looking that we haven't already?

nate

What you're describing is exactly why we dumped Onyx in version 7 and made the switch to Caldera. I've never looked back. (and it's funny to see that some things never change).

papabud

Lone Wolf
i have been using onyx for years with no issues. it works day in and day out.
but with our issue my first thought was a bad ram stick or a bad install.
it could be you have a bad sector on your hd. or your anti virus is blocking the program.

Devon Teneycke

i have been using onyx for years with no issues. it works day in and day out.
but with our issue my first thought was a bad ram stick or a bad install.
it could be you have a bad sector on your hd. or your anti virus is blocking the program.
The antivirus idea occurred to us, but we just have Windows Defender, and Onyx has assured us that shouldn't be an issue. And we've had out PC and its components tested extensively, including the hard drives (our system boot drive is an SSD but Onyx is installed to a normal HHD) tested extensively, and nothing comes up there. I'm almost leaning more towards an incompatibility issue now, rather than a defective part, but no one has been able to tell us that any of our components could be an issue.

papabud

Lone Wolf
it could be some kind of issue where its not compatible with a piece of hardware. some obscure little bit of data going all wrong.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Was Onyx installed using the Administrator account with UAC turned off?
We had huge issues with out ProductionHouse 12 until it was installed properly as above.

Bly

Over the years we've had occasional issues like that but now Thrive 12.1 very rarely crashes and almost never has an issue ripping a file or transparency problems.
As Signmeup said, read the installation guide carefully.

Devon Teneycke

Was Onyx installed using the Administrator account with UAC turned off?
We had huge issues with out ProductionHouse 12 until it was installed properly as above.
I am mostly positive we did that, but I will definitely double check that. The initial install was done by our equipment provider's technician, and we had Onyx remote in to do a re-install themselves, so I'm hoping between the two of them they remembered to check that. That being said, it's often those little things that get overlooked. Thanks for the advice.