• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Onyx Profiling, how to change head speed / scan speed?

Snap2000

Hello, just recently switched from VersaWorks to Onyx in the last week, it's been relatively painless and just a bit of learning to get used to. Using the Media Manager I've been able to make my own profiles with an i1pro that look pretty darn good.
The only issue that I just can't figure out is how to change the head speed, it seems to be locked to Onyx's pre-set 'Mode Options' for my printer model (a Roland VSi). It'll either let me have 720x720 8p at 812mm/sec, which is way too fast for nice solid colors/details on intermediate vinyl, or 1440x720 8p at 508mm/sec, useless because I don't need the extra resolution and much slower printing times. On Versaworks it's very easy to change head speed right on the main settings panel, if I could get Onyx to operate at a tried and known setting of 720x720 and 550mm/s that would be wonderful!

Any inputs appreciated, cheers.

Attachments

• onyxheadspeed.PNG
    onyxheadspeed.PNG
    9 KB · Views: 251

Snap2000

What are all the mode options you have?

The mode options I have are:
540x720 5p,6p,8p 1016mm/s
720x720 5p,6p,8p 1016 and 812mm/s
1440x720 6p,8p,10p 812mm/s and 508mm/s
These mode options seem locked to the printer, regardless of what media profile you make or use.

Snap2000

5p,6p,8p are passes. less passes the faster it goes.
I will need to do some testing, while fewer passes does make faster printing speeds, I believe fewer passes will lower the quality of the prints even if it runs at a higher resolution. I don't think running at 1440x720 all the time is a good solution, if you look at any premade profiles for intermediate vinyls, they all only go to 720x720.

Just had a look in our Onyx 21... can't adjust scan speed in ours either. All the same speedings as what you see too.
I wonder why we can't change it in Onyx. It's a simple setting in Versaworks. While 812mm/s+ is probably fine for banners and large graphics, it's just too fast for making decals, the ink droplets don't land where they need to in the dry air here.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
I will need to do some testing, while fewer passes does make faster printing speeds, I believe fewer passes will lower the quality of the prints even if it runs at a higher resolution. I don't think running at 1440x720 all the time is a good solution, if you look at any premade profiles for intermediate vinyls, they all only go to 720x720.

Having a faster scan speed also will degrade the quality.

Because he's talking about head movement speed not print speed.
head speed affects the print speed also. so if OP wants to speed up the printing process, he can choose less passes.