• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Onyx resizing oddity - Panels change by themselves

genericname

Well I'm at the end of my rope on this one. Wasted just over 1000 square feet of stock on testing and re-testing, only to find out that my issues were entirely within the RIP. Well, not entirely. I may be crazy.

I have a 237.2" wide x 43.1" tall banner to print, separated into 4 equal tiles of 59.3" wide. When I send to Production House from Preflight, everything looks fine. Even after ripping, Production House shows all measurements exactly as I entered them, as seen in the "on hold" job highlighted in Blue in the attached image. When I remove the "hold" status, or send the file directly to print, the height magically shrinks, ruining the whole bloody thing, as highlighted by the red oval.

I have scale adjustment set up for this media in its profile, but that takes place in the background, does it not, and should not actually change the displayed dimensions? Also, in the past, it's actually helped me get the proper height, not shrink it all to hell.

I know the .173" difference seems insignificant, but most of our output needs to be extremely precise when it comes to tiling and overlap (no overlap on this job in particular), and it's enough to demand a reprint.

Onyx 7.3.2
Mimaki JV3-250SP

Attachments

• onyxwtf.jpg
    onyxwtf.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 182

miker

this is a result of the media manager "scale adjust" tool in onyx.

Here's how I think it works. When you open a file in preflight it uses the true document size from the file. Once you actually rip the file it show the corrected size values based on your settings in the "Scale Adjust" tool from Media Manager. The only oddball is that when you put files on "Hold" it displays a different value. I'm not sure why it does this, but once you unhold the job it returns to the corrected sizes using the "Scale adjust" settings.

I would make sure that your scale adjust settings are perfect. I typically print a 4'x10' box and measure and enter the values as best I can and then reprint to confirm. I have used this tool very successfully on multiple printers and flatbeds. Like I said, the only oddity is that when on hold it shows job as a weird size.

i've encountered this before as well...

scale adjust is something to look at. Also, if these are images, for whatever reason it calculates size adjustments sometimes from dpi. Changing the dpi in the file to fixed for me, but it seems random when it does it.

Bly

Another trap for noobs is when you drop a job into a hotfolder and the media is too narrow the rip automatically shrinks it to fit.

genericname

are you sending files to productionhouse out of preflight? or just loading direct?

Preflight

My best guess is that it really is just the scale adjust that was off. It's such a tiny adjustment I've made to rectify it though; I don't like how finicky it is. I figured I would be able to set it once, and be done with it, but it now looks like it's the kind of thing I'll need to tweak from time to time, as with other settings due to environmental factors.