• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Onyx Rip changing tiles on its own?

jfiscus

Rap Master
Recently we have been having issues with Onyx changing the amount of tiles in a ripped job after we have manually went in and set the tile size in the Job Editor. I seem to notice it more when we rip a file with 54 inch media set, and then modify the media to 48 inches. It "should" just say that the tiles are too wide (media size error) but now it is just changing the tile size to whatever it thinks is right. Most of the time we double-check, but sometimes we're loading up a full que and don't notice.

Is there any way to override this "feature"? Have I mistakenly clicked something that changed a default?

Currently I have a file in the RIP that just WONT print out in 2 tiles no matter how many times I tell it. It is 86" wide, and I set it to 2 tiles at 43" each with 1" overlap (48" media). I hit the ok button in the job editor and it shows me 3 tiles in the print preview window. I click "edit in job editor" "and there are still 2 tiles set at the correct sizes... Re-rip it and the same thing happens. print it and you get the 3 tiles. :( :( [HASHTAG]#whatthefont[/HASHTAG]

Sign Impressions

Here's an example of what I do, if it helps.

I made a dummy file, 86"x110"
Then enabled tiling and submit it as seperate jobs.
Then set columns to 2 and overlap to 1".
You can click on each tile in the preview window to see it's exact size if needed.
In this case it split them equally.
Then the last screenshot show the correct width of 43.5 for each panel. 1" of that is overlap.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
The only thing I can think is that your margins are larger than you realize, or the file is wonky. If it's not your margins, maybe try saving the file as a PDF or a PSD and see if it lets you print correctly. It's a pain, but that's fixed a few weird errors for us in the RIP.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
I find it easier to make my own tiles within the design. That way the RIP station isn't tied up and my print tech is much happier. I drop the tiles into a hot folder from my pc and all he has to do is print.

jfiscus

Rap Master
I had the other prepress guy here try to get the file to work and he checked it and found all settings should be ok (just like you all have listed above). We've both been running Onyx for around 6 or so years, so we're not new to it or tiling.

We dropped the same file back in and it ripped it just fine the 2nd time. It is just the rip messing up and doing this weird tiling. It is random, we probably rip 100 items just fine for every 1 time this happens, but when it does happen it can quickly ruin a lot of vinyl and cause a lot of rework or potentially delay a job. We are going to try to go ahead an upgrade to Onyx 18, these problems all started when we upgraded to the previous version when we got our new S60600 printer.