• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Onyx/Summa barcode cut off after each sheet like Flexi?

Saturn

Aging Member
Does Onyx have a setting similar to Flexi (when using a barcode server) where it will automatically cut a job/sheet off a roll before starting the next one?

Say if I have a whole roll printed of 50 smaller jobs but want to start popping things out as it continues to cut unattended? I have used this in Flexi when I had barcode jobs, but wasn't sure if Onyx offered this as well? I do not currently have Onyx, just asking for the future.

Guess I should mention in the body that this would be on a Summa.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Yep we use that all the time. We load a roll on the summa, it’ll cut one job, read the next then cut the completed one into the basket and continue working unattended.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
5BD5F3D1-A57E-4484-B723-B9EA5311F32F.jpeg
You shall find it here

Saturn

Aging Member
Yep we use that all the time. We load a roll on the summa, it’ll cut one job, read the next then cut the completed one into the basket and continue working unattended.
iPrintStuff, I see you're sending the cut file to a folder, are you then using the Summa Cutter Control to start things? And the auto-cutoff and start next job are all automatic? So long as the 'Cut Off Media' is ticked in Onyx?

I had this all down pat in Flexi, but I know there's a lot of people doing it in Onyx, so just trying to save a little time by hounding folks here. I appreciate your help.

One last Onyx question in case anyone seeing this has an answer. Is there a way to bring in a simple print/cut job with just one CutContour line but have Onyx set up the cut file to cut twice (2 pass)? Flexi does this on the design side when setting things up, and I'd love to find a way to add it to Onyx RIP Quick Sets. If I need to just have two identical CutContour lines stacked in the file, I suppose I can do that too, but obviously not the most elegant.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Just tick the "roll server" on in cutserver and you don't need cutter control. Onyx has it's own barcode server.

I don't think there is a way to do what you are asking in Onyx so you got to find another way.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
So we get onyx to create the cut file and send it to a folder, then we get summa cutter control to view the folder and use those cut files.

Haven’t tried just doing it in onyx so can’t tell you what that’s like. Our way is still very straightforward.

As far as the double cut line goes, you’d probably have to duplicate it in the artwork. I guess if you make the cut line in a separate layer you can just duplicate the layer? Have never needed a double cut, why do you?

You could always try using a flex cut line too? Is that why you use the second pass?

Saturn

Aging Member
Thanks Balstestrat & iPrintStuff,

Tested the print/cut from Onyx to the printer and to a folder for the Summa Barcode Server. Summa Cutter Control did what I expected as far as cutting-off between multiple barcoded jobs. Sounds like having Onyx do this versus SCC do it is just half-dozen of one, six of the other, so for now I think I'm good. Appreciate all the tidbits.

iPrintStuff, seems like my contour cuts stay a little more consistent when I hit them twice, but I may have to play around with things to see if I can come to grips with doing the single pass again. When I first started contour cutting I spent about a year just hitting things once, then discovered that two passes gave me a little broader "range" of acceptable depth/pressure settings to get the same results or better. If I stick with two passes, I will likely just create files with two CutContour layers (in Illustrator) like you mention as a workaround for Onyx not having the option Flexi does.