• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Onyx Thrive 19 RIPs 3 different colors from the same file, same quickset

rwinkie

Last year built a new computer and upgraded from Thrive 18 to 19. I had a ton of problems with getting 19 working and Onyx support mucked up my computer so badly trying to fix the issue I ended up having to reload Windows. I noticed a huge color shift in my prints (I print exclusively on vinyl) but because most of my customers think that orange is pink I have been able to manage without recalibration. I have all the equipment to profile myself but I just haven't had the time to learn how to properly profile. In the past I've had a color management pro help but he's not always the fastest getting back to me and not always the most helpful.

I printed out a mostly grey print the other day and complained about how off the color was and I should just run Onyx's calibration. Skipping forward I decided to separate my design space from my printing space and bought a new computer to run Onyx and my cutters. Got everything set up, which a joy in itself and figured I would try virtual printing so I can send my prints strait to the RIP instead of saving to a network drive. That way when I finish a file I can send it directly to the RIP and then have them all ready to print when I go out to the print shop. Test print the same grey sent from the virtual printer and the light grey is suddenly perfect but the dark grey in the print is wrong. Hmm. Transfer the file over the network and open inside of Onyx RIPqueue. All they greys are almost blue and seems like there is no black printing. Weird. Print from the old computer- color is not correct but better. Figure out how to adjust setting when printing from AI to allow the printer to manage colors and then next print has near perfect color.

So three different prints with the same quick set applied. Unfortunately while I can see color differences I'm not well versed in the technical aspects of profiles. Is it a computer specific profile that's mucking things up? My service agreement with Onyx is up and I'm hesitant to call anyway since last time they screwed up my computer. I could call my color guy for help but it might be two months before he gets back to me.

unclebun

It most likely has to do with color management as the file leaves your design software. You have it set (or the default is set) so that it does one thing to the color when it saves it one way, and a different thing when it exports it another way.

rwinkie

It most likely has to do with color management as the file leaves your design software. You have it set (or the default is set) so that it does one thing to the color when it saves it one way, and a different thing when it exports it another way.

I though the same, that maybe I had something screwed up, but when I rip from the original computer I get different color profile from when I RIP on the new computer. This is just opening the file in Onyx RIPQueue and no where else. So basically not opening first in Illustrator and saving in with a different ICC profile.

rwinkie

are all your files saved in the same colour space?
Kind of answered above, but using the exact same file in all three instances. File was created and saved on old computer-- never opened outside of RIP queue on the new computer which leads me to believe there is computer specific profile.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
I though the same, that maybe I had something screwed up, but when I rip from the original computer I get different color profile from when I RIP on the new computer. This is just opening the file in Onyx RIPQueue and no where else. So basically not opening first in Illustrator and saving in with a different ICC profile.
If this is the case it really seems like you have some setting different between the two.
You have probably checked the color profiles in the quickset that they match but did you also check all of the rest color settings? Rendering intent etc.

rwinkie

If this is the case it really seems like you have some setting different between the two.
You have probably checked the color profiles in the quickset that they match but did you also check all of the rest color settings? Rendering intent etc.

That's the stuff I'm clueless about. I know Onyx is using exactly the same quickset to RIP the virtually printed and opened in RIP queue, and I know where to adjust the rendering intent in the Illustrator print options but no clue where to change it for RIP queue or more importantly what rendering intent to use and a slew of other color management settings available in AI print menu that I have no clue what I should be using and under what conditions.

At this point the best quality color has come from AI, but need to be consistent if I RIP from RIP queue.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
That's the stuff I'm clueless about. I know Onyx is using exactly the same quickset to RIP the virtually printed and opened in RIP queue, and I know where to adjust the rendering intent in the Illustrator print options but no clue where to change it for RIP queue or more importantly what rendering intent to use and a slew of other color management settings available in AI print menu that I have no clue what I should be using and under what conditions.

At this point the best quality color has come from AI, but need to be consistent if I RIP from RIP queue.
You have to go edit the quickset and the color profile settings inside that. You can do that from the top bar on Onyx.
Match the profiles to the ones you have in illustrator. Or if your old onyx Setup worked good enough match it to those. After that you should have no difference from before.