• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Opinions for new laminator needed - interested in one with take-up...

FatCat

I have been very happy with our USTECH AK-600 laminator over the past 5-6 years. It has run hundreds of rolls of laminate through it, but I am wanting to upgrade. I've been really interested in the machines that have the take-up system on them like a printer does, and offer either electric or 1-wheel control of raising/lowering the main roller. Really don't think we need heat-assist, although in the winter time it might be nice. Other than that, want to stay with a 65" machine...

The USTECH VT-9600 looks very similar to what I have now with the features we want. Looking for feedback from current users/owners and how the machine has been to run and any issues or problems you can describe.

Thank you!

Christian @ 2CT Media

The Kalas are amazing. I can recommend a GFP whole heartedly... ours has been going strong since 2011 and we will buy another of the newly updated models soon.

kanini

One with takeup will be like night and day when you get the hang of it, no more crumpled mess on the floor!

DerbyCitySignGuy

We just got a Kala Mistral and so far it's pretty amazing. Full speed it runs about 24 feet a minute and straight as an arrow.

Getting the cores to lock is a little tricky at first, but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy. There are a LOT of things I really like about it.

DJr

GFP all the way love it. We have the 563TH model and use the heat assist on matte calendared film only. You won't be disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

particleman

I got a good buy on the VT-9600 and currently use one. It is a tank but works well I really don't use the take up though however the system seems solid.

My biggest complaint is the wheel to raise and lower the roller. It is designed in such a way that it can come off the gear if you roll it too far down. Requires taking the cover off and putting the chain back on. The new ones you'll notice have an electronic system to prevent this.

ironchef

The gbc orca looks like a tank wow that must be pricey. I went on their website. The spire editions look badass! I was looking into another master/us tech but I will be looking into the gbc spire now

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

CL Visual

saw this at a trade show, was very impressed with it and how easy it was to operate
Kala Mistral 1650 65" Laminator | Kala Laminator | Wide Format Laminator - signmaterialsdirect.com

I had this on my final list but wound up going with the GFP 65 with heat assist. For me it came down to price as we are getting a CWT table soon as well. A shop down the block has the same unit as the Kala Mistral but under a different name and he loves it. The one distinct advantage the Kala has is that the back section swings up as well. Makes loading nice and straight a little easier than the GFP.

jfiscus

Rap Master
As mentioned above, seriously look into the GFP 563th. We use the heck out of ours and have had no issues. A couple of us here like to use the top heat function and a couple never use it, I think it gets rid of the silvering that you sometimes see. We have run thousands of rolls through ours; if you don't believe me you can ask our Fellers rep how many rolls we go through, lol. I just taught a new guy how to run it yesterday, and he has ran 10+ full rolls though it since then without issue; everyone in the whole production dept can run it.