• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Opinions on two sided builders signs

Stormyj

Just another guy
Howdy all,
Just wanted to get some opinions on how you build your 2 sided developer signage. I normally use a 4x8 sheet with slotted 4x4 posts with 2x4 on upper and lower. I cover the primed 4x8 sheet with printed vinyl. This usually works out well. Im just wondering how others do it. If I can find an easier way that still looks professional, I might consider it. It takes a few man hours routing the 4x4s and building the sign prior to bring it to the install area. Ive attached a little drawing of how I do it. I usually place a finial on top to add that little, well, whatever. lol. Thanks for the feedback. if you want to respond with some work you have done, feel free.
Jim

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 262

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I use ACM. Since ACM is cheap, I use two single sided sheets. I put two 4x4 posts up and use "L" brackets on the inside of the 4x4s to fasten two 2x4x88" in the middle...so I have a frame. Then I just fasten the two ACM sheets to the on either side.

Takes about an hour or hour and half from the time I pull up to the time I leave. Only prep before I go out there is just buying the lumber from Home Depot

TimToad

Howdy all,
Just wanted to get some opinions on how you build your 2 sided developer signage. I normally use a 4x8 sheet with slotted 4x4 posts with 2x4 on upper and lower. I cover the primed 4x8 sheet with printed vinyl. This usually works out well. Im just wondering how others do it. If I can find an easier way that still looks professional, I might consider it. It takes a few man hours routing the 4x4s and building the sign prior to bring it to the install area. Ive attached a little drawing of how I do it. I usually place a finial on top to add that little, well, whatever. lol. Thanks for the feedback. if you want to respond with some work you have done, feel free.
Jim

I like it and use a similar or the same approach on anything not deemed temporary. We like how all four edges of the panel are captured in the channels and makes for a far more rigid sign.

Are you routing channels into the upper and lower 2"x4"s as well?

Baz

I just put 2x4 cleats. Usually 2"x4"x6". Screw them 1.5" in from the edges of you sign.
Since we now use ACM for everything i also put two 45 degree braces inside the sign. Screwed to the posts and crosspieces.
When we used to use 1/2" plywood (Crezon or the like) you didn't need to put angled braces to strengthen the frame.

Stormyj

Just another guy
I like it and use a similar or the same approach on anything not deemed temporary. We like how all four edges of the panel are captured in the channels and makes for a far more rigid sign.

Are you routing channels into the upper and lower 2"x4"s as well?

Stormyj

Just another guy
I do not route the 2x4s. The side only keep it pretty rigid. A only use MDO. I feel that ACM is to flexible and can blow out or bend. I have had to go out to too many ACM signs and repair them.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I do not route the 2x4s. The side only keep it pretty rigid. A only use MDO. I feel that ACM is to flexible and can blow out or bend. I have had to go out to too many ACM signs and repair them.

If you're repairing them then you're building them wrong. You have to use stringers for 3mm ACM.. 6mm you might get away with.

Stormyj

Just another guy
If you're repairing them then you're building them wrong. You have to use stringers for 3mm ACM.. 6mm you might get away with.
Then Im using 2 sheets of acm. Ill just use a single sheet of painted MDO board and be done with it. Builder signs are temporary anyway. Not more then a year and MDO lasts well more then that. Works fine for me.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Then Im using 2 sheets of acm. Ill just use a single sheet of painted MDO board and be done with it. Builder signs are temporary anyway. Not more then a year and MDO lasts well more then that. Works fine for me.

How much is one MDO board? How much time does it take to get it ready?