• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Oracal 3551G RA issues - contaminated rolls

Have had to return 4 rolls back to supplier of Oracal 3551G RA anyone else having issues with that vinyl? under light there is a lot of contaminates on the vinyl surface. picture below.

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG-0382.jpg
    IMG-0382.jpg
    704.2 KB · Views: 287

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
It’s calendered so this can happen.
This can happen whether it's cal or cast. Oracal seems to have changed many things, including the adhesive (horrible smelling - we've had to stop using their 210 series laminates and several vinyls). I don't know what happened to them but really close to done with all of their materials. Sucks because we still have and use LOTS of their cut vinyls as well as print materials.

This can happen whether it's cal or cast. Oracal seems to have changed many things, including the adhesive (horrible smelling - we've had to stop using their 210 series laminates and several vinyls). I don't know what happened to them but really close to done with all of their materials. Sucks because we still have and use LOTS of their cut vinyls as well as print materials.

We use nothing but Orafol and a few 3M products, namely lots of 210 and 290 laminates and I haven't noticed any weird smell. Matter of fact, I've always liked Orafol products because they have always been about the least smelly of any of the products I've used over the years. Is this a VERY recent thing? Most of our media and laminates can't be much older than a couple months.

As far as contamination, we no longer us 3551RA so I have no recent experience with it in particular. The only problem I've ever had is invisible contamination on the first yard or two on new rolls of pretty much any of their print media. It only becomes evident when you print on it, producing random smudgy spots. I assume this to be somewhat normal, possibly due to handling.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
We use nothing but Orafol and a few 3M products, namely lots of 210 and 290 laminates and I haven't noticed any weird smell. Matter of fact, I've always liked Orafol products because they have always been about the least smelly of any of the products I've used over the years. Is this a VERY recent thing? Most of our media and laminates can't be much older than a couple months.

As far as contamination, we no longer us 3551RA so I have no recent experience with it in particular. The only problem I've ever had is invisible contamination on the first yard or two on new rolls of pretty much any of their print media. It only becomes evident when you print on it, producing random smudgy spots. I assume this to be somewhat normal, possibly due to handling.

WOW I can't believe no one else experiences the smell, mainly 210 Gloss and Matte, and several intermediate colored vinyls. I've posted on here before about it. We refer to it as "hot dog-sh!t", as it smells like when you step on a lawn cigar on a hot summer day. It's bad out of the box, and really bad when loading on the laminator and running it.

AF

I noticed that older stock 210 gets the plasticizer smell going pretty strong. Same with 651.

AF

WOW I can't believe no one else experiences the smell, mainly 210 Gloss and Matte, and several intermediate colored vinyls. I've posted on here before about it. We refer to it as "hot dog-sh!t", as it smells like when you step on a lawn cigar on a hot summer day. It's bad out of the box, and really bad when loading on the laminator and running it.

I have found the smell is limited to older stock. It gets on your hands and is difficult to remove the odor. Can’t be healthy. Cheap vinyls use cheap plasticizers so it come with the territory.