• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Oracal 631 vs 3628 and Oracal 651 vs 3164

VinylCutter

Hello Guys

I am a decal maker from India and we really have lots of problems importing the Oracal series in India. If anybody can help find a good supplier it would be highly appreciated.

We end up paying lots of money to the importers here thereby increasing our costs.

My question is about which series is best for indoor and outdoor?

In india we get 631 and 3628(this is only white). We are using 3628 for print-cut decals. How about the durability for indoors? We also print-cut on 631. Which is the better option?

And for outdoor, would you suggest 651 or 3164? It gets upto 40 degree Celsius here and also rains a lot.

PLease suggest

Thanks

splizaat

IF your only options are 651 or 3164, you should use 651 for outdoor...otherwise 3165 if you can get it.

3164 would be a good replacement for print/cut decals.

VinylCutter

Hello Matt,

We have got a bulk order for some outdoor decals and the options currently are 3628 and 3164. Will they last through the rain and 35 degree Celsius? Oracal says 4 year warranty for 3164 for outdoor use. Does it include rain factor also?

Thanks

Aside, Why cant the dealers from US ship the material to us in India. Any supplier reading this may drop a mail to sharadatanay123@gmail.com .

visual800

oracal 651 rocks and is the vinyl that will survive what you need.

Have you contacted oracal directly?
Who are you getting it from now?

VinylCutter

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Yes, contacted ORacal very long back. Oracal US tells us that we need to get in touch with Oracal Germany for shipping to India.

Oracal Germany deals via 1 dealer in India. If we order, he takes 3 months to deliver by ship. And if it is an urgent requirement, he orders it by air for which he charges 100% more. Doesn't this suck?

@Pat White

Never used a laminate. Do you intend to say that we need to laminate the decal after cutting?

VinylCutter

@Pat

Thanks for that info. We've been doing indoor decals for 3 years. Suddenly some work for outdoor has come up and we are trying to gather knowledge.

For decals, we use the LT95 transfer paper. We are going to make some 'Warli painting' decals for outdoors. Planning to do that by using transfer papers as well.

And yes, about distribution, it is ridiculous in today's world. Thanks again.

VinylCutter

Ohh ... so the vinyl itself cannot resist rain/heat?

I dont have a laminator yet. I have 3614/3628. For the rest, it'll take 3 months to reach via Oracal-sea-importer-me. Ridiculous again, I know. So, as I already explained I can buy 651 and import it by air at tremendous costs.

brian_fellers

"In india we get 631 and 3628(this is only white). We are using 3628 for print-cut decals. How about the durability for indoors? We also print-cut on 631. Which is the better option?"

You should NOT be using 3628 for print-cut decals. Instead, you should be using 3268. 3628 is 3mil and intended for complete wall murals. 3268 is a 6mil film, intended for print-cut graphics. They are both around the same price.
Also, Oracal 631 is NOT intended for printing. I know plenty of customers who print on materials they are not intended for printing, not saying that you CANT print on it, but Oracal (or any other manufacturer) will NOT stand behind their warranty. Print on Oracal 631, or 651, or any other cut vinyl = voided warranty.
Also, make sure you are using 631, 3628, or 3268 for INDOORS only. All 3 films have removeable adhesive, and are intended for indoor use only.

"And for outdoor, would you suggest 651 or 3164? It gets upto 40 degree Celsius here and also rains a lot."

Oracal 651 would by far be the better option for outdoor. 3164 is a great monomeric calendar vinyl, but it's economy grade, with 4 year durability. It also has a water-based adhesive.
Oracal 651 is a Polymeric Calendar vinyl, Intermediate vinyl, 6 year durability, with a solvent-based adhesive. The comparable digital media that closest matches the spec to Oracal 651 is Orajet 3651. (Hint: 651 to 3651).

Hope this helps!

VinylCutter

@Pat

These ones are not going to be printed. They are white designs and am going to cut using a plotter. Dont know what media I am going to use. 3628 and 3614 is only actually what I have.

Btw, we might be able to procure 3M in India. I was rather sticking with Oracal for the brand. Is it a good option to try something else than Oracal?

@bdyer

Thanks for the inputs. Wish I was doing business in the US and getting next day deliveries from the Fellers n USCutters ;)

And same query to you:

W might be able to procure 3M in India. I was rather sticking with Oracal for the brand. Is it a good option to try something else than Oracal?

brian_fellers

Hello Guys

I am a decal maker from India and we really have lots of problems importing the Oracal series in India. If anybody can help find a good supplier it would be highly appreciated.

We end up paying lots of money to the importers here thereby increasing our costs.

My question is about which series is best for indoor and outdoor?

In india we get 631 and 3628(this is only white). We are using 3628 for print-cut decals. How about the durability for indoors? We also print-cut on 631. Which is the better option?

And for outdoor, would you suggest 651 or 3164? It gets upto 40 degree Celsius here and also rains a lot.

PLease suggest

Thanks

@Pat

These ones are not going to be printed. They are white designs and am going to cut using a plotter. Dont know what media I am going to use. 3628 and 3614 is only actually what I have.

Btw, we might be able to procure 3M in India. I was rather sticking with Oracal for the brand. Is it a good option to try something else than Oracal?

@bdyer

Thanks for the inputs. Wish I was doing business in the US and getting next day deliveries from the Fellers n USCutters ;)

And same query to you:

W might be able to procure 3M in India. I was rather sticking with Oracal for the brand. Is it a good option to try something else than Oracal?

There are plenty of other good brands out there. In my personal opinion, I think Oracal makes the BEST vinyls for the money. Their economy and intermediate vinyls are just as good as 3M or Avery, but always cheaper. Oracals wrap vinyl are close to same price as 3M, whereas Avery is cheaper. Just depends what you do, and what you prefer. I always used Oracal vinyls in the industry, just my preference.

VinylCutter

Coming to the same question again,

I have confirmed the order. I will be making 50 designs to be installed on 4' * 6' panels. How long will Oracal 641 last? 30-40 degree Celsius. Rain. No lamination.

Thanks all for your inputs

tsgstl

There are many factors. Some colors fade faster. If you have a 2 sided sign the side that faces the sun will fade much faster. Spray on lam will give you 25% longer roll on lam a little more. I have used both materials listed and I use the 3164 rip from oracal. Unprotected, some look brand new 4 years later and then some show fading after a little over a year. If anything at all rubs up against it consistently it will also wear. There is no magic answer for unlaminated.

VinylCutter

Thanks for the info.

I checked Oracal 3164 specs. Seems suitable for me. We are not going to print anything on the vinyl. The designs are monochrome white. We are going to cut using a plotter.