• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Oracal 751 Over Rivits

mudmedia

How do most approach cast what I would consider "Cut Lettering" over riveted areas? I use the rollepro on all my wrap stuff but not sure if that method can be considered with oracal 751?

mudmedia

Didnt think of that idea...I bought 2 when I first opened up but havent used them more than twice lol maybe Ill shake the dust off em and try it out...

THANKS

mudmedia

there is no difference between wrap materials and cast vinyl in your rivet technique.

that is good to know then. Only reason I figured there might be is because with cut lettering I wouldnt have a "row" or "channel" open to rollepro just a couple rivets

J

john1

I always just apply, form a "tent" around the rivet and poke a few tiny holes and suck them in with a heat gun and squeegee around until it's how i want it.

Not super fast but i don't do wraps yet either so it works for the very few rivets i encounter.

SignStudent

there is no difference between wrap materials and cast vinyl in your rivet technique.

What if it is die cut cast vinyl and you had to use transfer tape and you usually use rolle pro? Leave channels where the rivets are and take the tape off before messing working on the rivets I assume. Then just use rolle pro like normal? I'd be worried that without air release there would be issues.

OlsonSigns601

I would be worried too.

I wouldn't suggest using cast vinyl as a substitute for wrap material. If your graphic is so big that you have to have a channel, I wouldn't use 751.

If you are putting on lettering that might go over a rivet, 751 would be fine and a needle to release the air, a torch and a squeegee should be all you need.

petepaz

probably need more practice but i get a crease with the rollepro
I get better results just using the rivet brush and squeegee

Border

Use the rolle pro on regular cast cut vinyl too. It will work great as long as you first create an escape hole for the air (I usually poke a couple holes on the bottom side of the rivet).
Sometime ya gotta pay attention because the poked hole can close back up before you hit it with the rolle pro when you throw the heat to it. That's when you can muck it up if you're not careful but like everything else, practice makes perfect.

Graphics2u

I just used the Rolle-pro on that very product and to be honest it didn't work well. This was on ribbed steel siding on construction trailers. the problem is if the vinyl gets stuck down anywhere along where you want to roll the air is trapped. Rivets might actually be easier than the ribs, i don't know. But the next three trailers I have to do will be with cast 3M w/ Comply adhesive. I think the air release has to be there for the Rolle-Pro to work well.

megacab

Rolle Pro, Rivets, and a Torch.....good times for sure:thumb:. It's what I use whenever I do semi trailers. I always letter with 751. It takes practice but once you get it down and plan for the air escape, it's pretty simple.

Attachments

• 011-4.jpg
    011-4.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 160
  • 012-6.jpg
    012-6.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 139

2B

Rolle Pro, Rivets, and a Torch.....good times for sure:thumb:. It's what I use whenever I do semi trailers. I always letter with 751. It takes practice but once you get it down and plan for the air escape, it's pretty simple.

WOW THAT IS PAINFUL, I feel like I need to charge someone just for looking at that

megacab

WOW THAT IS PAINFUL, I feel like I need to charge someone just for looking at that

lol. why is that? what am I missing? is it because it's only half the logo with the registration marks so it looks like a hideous design? or is it the rivets and ribs?

2B

lol. why is that? what am I missing? is it because it's only half the logo with the registration marks so it looks like a hideous design? or is it the rivets and ribs?

rivets and ribs, those are a horrible combo!

Baz

I was also talking about the rivets and ribs. That's a true test on someone's level of patience.