Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oracal 751 Over Rivits

Discussion in 'Vehicle Graphics' started by mudmedia, Aug 21, 2012.

1. mudmedia

mudmedia Active Member

Aug 15, 2008
    How do most approach cast what I would consider "Cut Lettering" over riveted areas? I use the rollepro on all my wrap stuff but not sure if that method can be considered with oracal 751?

Tags:
  2. SightLine

SightLine Very Active Member

Pretty old school but a rivet brush is a great tool as well. :Cool 2:

3. mudmedia

mudmedia Active Member

Aug 15, 2008
    Didnt think of that idea...I bought 2 when I first opened up but havent used them more than twice lol maybe Ill shake the dust off em and try it out...

THANKS

4. ProWraps

ProWraps Very Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    there is no difference between wrap materials and cast vinyl in your rivet technique.

5. mudmedia

mudmedia Active Member

Aug 15, 2008
    that is good to know then. Only reason I figured there might be is because with cut lettering I wouldnt have a "row" or "channel" open to rollepro just a couple rivets

6. john1

john1 Guest

I always just apply, form a "tent" around the rivet and poke a few tiny holes and suck them in with a heat gun and squeegee around until it's how i want it.

Not super fast but i don't do wraps yet either so it works for the very few rivets i encounter.

7. SignStudent

SignStudent Member

Jun 12, 2010
    TN
    What if it is die cut cast vinyl and you had to use transfer tape and you usually use rolle pro? Leave channels where the rivets are and take the tape off before messing working on the rivets I assume. Then just use rolle pro like normal? I'd be worried that without air release there would be issues.

8. OlsonSigns601

OlsonSigns601 Member

Jul 23, 2011
    I would be worried too.

I wouldn't suggest using cast vinyl as a substitute for wrap material. If your graphic is so big that you have to have a channel, I wouldn't use 751.

If you are putting on lettering that might go over a rivet, 751 would be fine and a needle to release the air, a torch and a squeegee should be all you need.

9. petepaz

petepaz Major Contributor

Feb 14, 2007
    NJ/NY/PA
    probably need more practice but i get a crease with the rollepro
    I get better results just using the rivet brush and squeegee

10. Jillbeans

Jillbeans Major Contributor

Dec 24, 2003
    Butler, PA
    I use a hair dryer and a gold squeegee.
    (I always hurt myself with heat guns)
    Love....Jill

11. Border

Border Very Active Member

Feb 8, 2007
    Minnesota
    Use the rolle pro on regular cast cut vinyl too. It will work great as long as you first create an escape hole for the air (I usually poke a couple holes on the bottom side of the rivet).
    Sometime ya gotta pay attention because the poked hole can close back up before you hit it with the rolle pro when you throw the heat to it. That's when you can muck it up if you're not careful but like everything else, practice makes perfect.

12. knucklehead

knucklehead Active Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Poke a few holes around the rivet, use a tennis ball to set it. Heat if necessary.

13. OlsonSigns601

OlsonSigns601 Member

Jul 23, 2011
    And Hydrogen without Oxygen is just Hydrogen and I wouldn't go using that to put out a fire.

Besides the air release, Cast & Wrap have a completely different adhesive tack.

14. Graphics2u

Graphics2u Very Active Member

Jan 31, 2007
    Iowa
    I just used the Rolle-pro on that very product and to be honest it didn't work well. This was on ribbed steel siding on construction trailers. the problem is if the vinyl gets stuck down anywhere along where you want to roll the air is trapped. Rivets might actually be easier than the ribs, i don't know. But the next three trailers I have to do will be with cast 3M w/ Comply adhesive. I think the air release has to be there for the Rolle-Pro to work well.

15. megacab

megacab Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Rolle Pro, Rivets, and a Torch.....good times for sure:thumb:. It's what I use whenever I do semi trailers. I always letter with 751. It takes practice but once you get it down and plan for the air escape, it's pretty simple.

Attached Files:

16. 2B

2B Moderator

May 5, 2011
    TX

WOW THAT IS PAINFUL, I feel like I need to charge someone just for looking at that

17. Baz

Baz Very Active Member

Megacab ... That looks like a signmaker's nightmare ....

18. Red Ball

Red Ball Active Member

Aug 20, 2008
    IRVING, TEXAS
    Nope, just a thing to do. Slowly.

19. megacab

megacab Member

Sep 12, 2010
    lol. why is that? what am I missing? is it because it's only half the logo with the registration marks so it looks like a hideous design? or is it the rivets and ribs?

20. 2B

2B Moderator

May 5, 2011
    TX
    rivets and ribs, those are a horrible combo!

21. Baz

Baz Very Active Member

I was also talking about the rivets and ribs. That's a true test on someone's level of patience.