• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Oracal

Breezy85

Curious, what people's input on Oracal vinyl? I personally haven't used it much, maybe a little years ago at another shop I worked at. My current boss doesn't have experience with it and was wondering about switching to save costs.

Would love to get some feedback on it. Thanks!

Bleemus

For indoor vinyl I really like the Oracal 631.

For outdoor vinyl we tried the 951 but went back to 3M 7725. Easier to weed and the clear backing makes registration easier.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

petepaz

i use oracal 3651 and 3651RA for decals. we use oracal 651 for cut vinyl lettering and we use 3751RA for wraps can say we ever had any major problems with any of them. we do use avery and 3m materials as well but oracal is a good product. with any of the vinyls they all have similar products you just have to use the correct product for the correct application

Breezy85

i use oracal 3651 and 3651RA for decals. we use oracal 651 for cut vinyl lettering and we use 3751RA for wraps can say we ever had any major problems with any of them. we do use avery and 3m materials as well but oracal is a good product. with any of the vinyls they all have similar products you just have to use the correct product for the correct application

We're really happy with our Avery vinyl for vehicle graphics and wraps, but would like to check out recommendations for decals and printed graphics for indoor/outdoor use.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I use 651 for cut viny and I like the 751 for cast, and I love love love 3M for digital printing, both their calendared 35c and 180 for fleet graphics.... Anyone else see everyday objects and think about how to wrap them?

ams

It's all about preference. No vinyl is far superior than another (Top brands I am talking about, not ebay ones). Some people are die hard 3M fans, some Avery, some Oracal. I've used all 3, my preference is Oracal, it has never failed me. I have never seen a splice in Oracal. The only vinyl that I didn't like was 751, but 651, 631, 8500 and all printable vinyls are amazing.

So I would say try two or three different kinds of Oracal vinyls and see what you think. I will stick with it.

Pat Whatley

651 and 751 are so much better than 3m to me. Cuts great, weeds like butter, and if you have to remove it five years later it comes off cleaner than 3M

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
We use 651 for Gerber Edge decals and some cut vinyl

We use 751 for outdoor/long term projects. For vehicles we are using 3M 180mC

Oracal is a good product in my option and I have not had any problems

Pippin Decals

Its all i use .I have no problems with 651 or 751. Also use 631 for walls .:Love it all. The only other brand i use is 3m for camo . Other than that you should like it Cuts great as well and definitely holds to what it goes to.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Its all i use .I have no problems with 651 or 751. Also use 631 for walls .:Love it all. The only other brand i use is 3m for camo . Other than that you should like it Cuts great as well and definitely holds to what it goes to.

I've never used 631. Do you use it for interior walls? What makes it better?

Hurd's Words

It's good for interior walls because the adhesive is not as aggressive and is water based so if/when the decal is removed any adhesive left behind is easily removed with an alcohol/water mix. That being said, out of curiosity I put a cut out decal on my truck using 631. It's on its second year in New York weather and is still going strong.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Pippin Decals

Just like Hurd's Words said. lol. But the proper paint sometimes needs to be used. I have heard that the non-marking paint gives issues or wont stick at all., but so far i guess i haven't came across any yet.
I have never tried it on vehicles tho_Only because its really a temp thing and doesnt have the same life span as 651 or 751 in certain situations.

We use Oracal almost exclusively. We've used it for over six years now and have never had an issue with it. We use 631 for interior walls and very short term (1-2 years) outdoor use. We use 651 for interior projects, and 751 and 951 for exterior projects. We print on 3651 for interior and short term signage, and 3951RA for long term outdoor signage. We also print on 3850 for backlit signs and 5600 for reflective.

ams

What would be the recommendation for prints, like indoor/outdoor calendared?

For outdoor, I highly recommend 3165RA. The 3551RA is okay but really not worth the extra money, at that point go with cast.
For interior, it depends on the application.