• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ordered Caldera Today

cdiesel

Finally we will have a seamless RIP to run all of our printers on. We've been considering it for awhile and finally bit the bullet. We've got Grand RIP, Grand Cut, EasyMedia, InkPerformer, and the Barbieri coming.

Our print director is also heading to DC next week to attend SGIA's color boot camp. I think he thinks it's Christmas already. We're all super stoked and can't wait!

ForgeInc

If you've been using onyx, you'll love caldera. We had a huge improvement in print quality when we switched, but be sure to make sure your profiles are set correctly and do plenty of testing, as you may find Caldera tends to lay down more ink than onyx did.

neil_se

Congrats, I'm literally purchasing myself Grandrip+ in another tab as I type this. To purchase from a US store and ship to Aus, it's costing me just over half what it would have to buy locally.

Bill Modzel

I've been running it for a few weeks now and liking it very much. I installed in on a Mac Mini and am running it on my display of my MacPro using screen sharing. I set it up this way because I literally have no room for another workstation in my office.

I still have a few tweaks to make but it's so much better than running Parallels and XP with my old PosterJet rip. Huge improvement in stability.

ProColorGraphics

Any one do any profiling? I am looking into EasyMedia with the i1 Pro V2. I am using a L25500. I have heard with the heat, it's not very fun to do.

N.E.

Any one do any profiling? I am looking into EasyMedia with the i1 Pro V2. I am using a L25500. I have heard with the heat, it's not very fun to do.

Easymedia is just that, easy. I've profiled all our large format printers with it. I can profile any media in about 20 minutes (including printing all the swatches). I do have a Macbeth densitometer that auto reads in the profiles though.

PrintItBig

Can someone tell me what a profile consists of with the latex machines please? With internal / aqueous machines I assume it dictates the colour balance and the amount of ink being laid down. With latex does it also control the pre heat, post heat, air flow etc?

Atomic DNA

I stopped by the Caldera booth yesterday and am convinced that I need it (imagine that). I am running three separate epson printers and one versacamm. I have a dedicated pc running the Roland but am thinking now that Caldera should be able to handle all of the workflow, am I wrong? The interface is very intuitive and coming from a Mac background, it is a perfect opportunity to step up.

neil_se

I didn't end up with Caldera in the end, my HP supplier swapped out Pixelblaster for PhotoPrint at no cost. It goes alright I spose, easy enough to run and it seems to have all the functions I need, the few that it doesn't SAI is working on patches for. Not sure what I'm missing compared with Caldera? Any comments from those that have switched from Flexi or PhotoPrint would be great.

Suz

Cdiesel, Congrats to you all!

Oh, and to the other Chris, Yay to you too!
I went with Shiraz myself for our L25500, it was what I could afford and it has not disappointed! I figured anything but Flexi for my L25500. It might be great for lots of people, but I was not convinced it would work well for me and couldn't afford setbacks if it didn't.

Anyhow, Happy for you!

InkjetAuction

Also LOVE Caldera here... in an all Roland environment. Fast. Accurate. It tears through PDFs-- loaded with transparencies -- like crazy.

The EasyMedia color profiling is awesome and in fact....Easy.
You'll really love it when you have to match a swatch.

Personally, I think the interface can be little goofy, but you'll quickly look past that once you see that you get bright accurate color. I never worry about greys any more.

I'm even using it to match jobs that I have run with VersaWorks using the "Max Impact" setting (color boost). I just go to the simulation profile setting (in Caldera) and point it to the Roland_RGB.icc and Roland_CMYK.icc profiles that are in the VersaWorks folder.

I do wonder if anyone here might share their experience with the InkPerformer module? During my real world testing, I didn't experience enough ink savings to make it worth the cost of the module. I felt that I was able to achieve similar results by playing with the black generation/GCR settings in EasyMedia. Anyone's thoughts on this?

Finally, my only real gripe with Caldera is that I think that in today's market CostProof is essential functionality that should be built into the primary software. To charge an additional $400+ for the simple ability to predict and calculate final ink usage is simply crazy. For that price you would think that the functionality would include the simple ability to check the ink levels in the machine--and warn you if there is not enough to complete the job without stopping. This is basic functionality built into VersaWorks.

Still, I would not trade my Caldera for any other RIP.

~E

Bly

I didn't end up with Caldera in the end, my HP supplier swapped out Pixelblaster for PhotoPrint at no cost. It goes alright I spose, easy enough to run and it seems to have all the functions I need, the few that it doesn't SAI is working on patches for. Not sure what I'm missing compared with Caldera? Any comments from those that have switched from Flexi or PhotoPrint would be great.

Man, Caldera will grow you hair where you never imagined and your erections will last for weeks at a time..