• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Osama Bin Lauden

zspace

Premium Subscriber
A customer wants decals of Osama Bin Lauden photos to put on the grip of his pistol. Some folks in my shop are freaked out by it. We aren't installing them.

Anyone got thoughts on this one way or the other?

Alan

Yea I might report that. See something say something. If he wanted targets of Osama Bin Laden then go for it. Stickers for the grips is more like an homage to him. Then again he might have a different view. have you talked to the customer to ask him why?

Reveal1

CA has most restrictive handgun laws in country. Why not ask to see his permit? No permit and he's illegal and you should report the interaction. (You may want to be ready to defend yourself if you have your own legally held weapon.)

He doesn't need a permit to own a gun. He doesn't need a permit to even bring it into your shop as long as it's not concealed or loaded and is stored properly.

Reveal1

He doesn't need a permit to own a gun. He doesn't need a permit to even bring it into your shop as long as it's not concealed or loaded and is stored properly.

Okay then 'Certificate'
From Wikipedia:
'To purchase a handgun, a buyer must have a Handgun Safety Certificate.[43] This is obtained by passing a written test, given by a Department of Justice certified instructor, on the safe and legal use of handguns. The certificate is valid for five years. A buyer must also perform a Safe Handling Demonstration when taking possession of a handgun. Some individuals are exempt from the Safety Certificate and Handling Demonstration requirements, including active and retired military and law enforcement personnel, hunter safety certificate holders, and concealed carry license holders'

Also: 'The buyer of a firearm must fill out an application to purchase a particular gun. The firearms dealer electronically submits the application to the California Department of Justice (DOJ), which performs a background check on the buyer.'

Okay then 'Certificate'
From Wikipedia:
'To purchase a handgun, a buyer must have a Handgun Safety Certificate.[43] This is obtained by passing a written test, given by a Department of Justice certified instructor, on the safe and legal use of handguns. The certificate is valid for five years. A buyer must also perform a Safe Handling Demonstration when taking possession of a handgun. Some individuals are exempt from the Safety Certificate and Handling Demonstration requirements, including active and retired military and law enforcement personnel, hunter safety certificate holders, and concealed carry license holders'

Also: 'The buyer of a firearm must fill out an application to purchase a particular gun. The firearms dealer electronically submits the application to the California Department of Justice (DOJ), which performs a background check on the buyer.'

Correct. But you do not need a certificate to hold a firearm. You also are not required to carry or provide proof of the certificate while in possession of your firearm. You only need a certificate for the purchase of the gun.

You have the right to deny service for any reason you want. If you do want to entertain the idea of doing the job maybe just give him a price that's not going to go through and take payment up front.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Here in PA, we have a license to carry. Mine is for concealed, so I can carry it anywhere loaded or not, in plain sight or hidden, unless the place otherwise restricts bringing firearms into the establishment. Some places, it goes without saying, but I don't always have my license on me. But, it's usually within walking distance. With that being said, this carry license does not mean I can buy or obtain a firearm. That's a totally different procedure. Buying from a licensed dealer, one needs to have a background check. You don't get a piece of paper for that.

Reveal1

You have the right to deny service for any reason you want. If you do want to entertain the idea of doing the job maybe just give him a price that's not going to go through and take payment up front.

Not really. You cannot deny service to someone because of their race, color, religion, national origin or disability. In some jurisdictions you also cannot discriminate based on sexual orientation. That gives cover for claims of prejudice real or imagined to a lot of people, so denying service to anyone is a risky thing.

bannertime

This is where my favorite policy comes into play. In short, it's something like "we don't produce anything that isn't ordered by someone representing the person or organization referenced in the order." So unless the person represent OBL, then sorry, no game. It can also be interpreted in a way that the person doesn't have permission to reproduce the likes of OBL, or that they didn't take the photo themselves, or create the artwork that's going to be produced.

It's 100% a meme. Accept the job or don't. No need for background checks, paperwork, or LE involvement.

rydods

Member for quite some time.
I would politely tell the customer to provide print ready artwork and/or make them jump through a few hoops. Maybe they'll decide to go elsewhere. It involves a terrorist, a gun and possibly a nut-job, saying no might be a bad idea in this case. :confused:

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Ohhhh I see now... I thought you were talking about targets... Yea the Osama on a gun is a WTF! As said earlier you put stuff on your gun that you like. (I'd never put anything on mine... guns are no place for bumper stickers) Yea that's a little off... like rydods said, proceed with caution.

Joel golden

That’s a report to the Po-Po there! I’m an avid gun guy and have designed a few things that were a bit goofy but... even as against red flag types of laws as I am, I’m calling in the experts on this.
Btw, my favorite gun project was wrapping my dads hi-point in gold... talk about hillbilly street cred :)

jimbug72

I would suggest following Bannertime's advice. No need to get this person "up in arms" regardless if they are dangerous or not. Seems a bit "out there" to me, but who's to say what this person's motivation for the decals are. Either way, I'd simply let this person know that we are not allowed to reproduce such images without expressed permission from the person, representative or copyright holder.

I personally would feel compelled to report this person though. Like Big Easy said, "See something, say something."
Perhaps this person is harmless and has some weird take on having these decals on his pistol as some kind of weird anti-terrorist statement. Perhaps this person has the notion that having OBL on his gun handles will usher his spirit straight to his kingdom of virgins after his death by cop after shooting up a synagogue.

I would much rather waste some law enforcement officers time investigating some harmless idiot than to see on the news about some lunatic with OBL on his pistol grip who just murdered a bunch of innocent people.