• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

OT: The Signs101 Pet Section

Travissedu

Hi, everyone! I've created this thread for us to have a light-hearted chat, a discussion about our adorable household pets. This is our Pomeranian, Sonny as we'd call him. When we're not out fishing, he'd watch TV with us in the living room, howl along to country songs, and even play catch in our backyard during my days off (though we had to secure one of those petsafe Stay+Play wireless dog fence, just so he wouldn’t stray far from our yard. Our neighbor had a weak wooden partition, and we once had an argument when poor Sonny ended up on his lawn). Overall, he’s a very loving fella. What are your household furries, guys?

4.jpg

TimToad

This is Lola. She comes to the shop every day and has an amazing connection and friendships with our clients, the UPS driver, postal carrier, another dog at our neighbor's shop next door.

We actually have some clients who will just stop by while passing by to say hi. She's starting to have some health issues, so we're cherishing every day with her.

Attachments

• Lola.png
    Lola.png
    604 KB · Views: 348

bannertime

Awesome. I get to waste more time today looking at pets. Here's my puppy Rose. I wish she was my shop dog, but we've got carpet at the office right now and it just wouldn't work for us. A few regular customers bring their dogs in when they swing by so that helps make those days better. She's 4 now. Was 2 in the picture. Smart and stubborn.

Attachments

• IMG_20150419_193205642.jpg
    IMG_20150419_193205642.jpg
    589 KB · Views: 342

SignsSupport

Support & Tech Administrator
Great thread topic Travissedu. Cheers.
And what adorable babies you guys have. My Mom would go gaga for that Pomeranian. We had one way back in the day. Adorable little things. :loveya:

SignsSupport

myront

CorelDRAW is best
I personally am not a big fan of pets in the workplace. I realize if it's also your home it's different but you cannot legally subject employees to it. First, it's a lawsuit waiting to happen. Second, it's a huge safety hazard. Third, it's really hard to talk to customers while the shop dog is yapping loudly at the customer and the owner does absolutely nothing about it. Very unprofessional. We've actually had customers refuse to come in because of the dog at the front door. p.s. It's a Yorkie.

I don't know how many times our shop pets have pittled or poo'd around the production area. p.s. Not my shop.
I'm a lover of all animals just not so much "pet people". Those who treat their pets better than their children or even remotely like children. Pets do not belong in your lap while driving either. And if your "pet" nips at any of my children they will become wall art. Don't know how many times I've tried going for a walk and dogs run after my children with the pet owner in the yard on the phone and doing nothing about it. My son was viciously attacked by a chow mix while visiting family. He had to have staples in his head. What did the owners do? Keep the dog! Never went back. Later heard the dog bit the owner's hand severe enough to warrant stitches. Still kept the dog! The young couple went on to have twin boys and still kept the dog.

Be a responsible pet owner and you will gain my respect. Otherwise you're an idiot.

My dog doesn't get to visit the shop unless it's an off day. My wife could take him to workwith her but he's way too high strung. He's a Chocolate Lab/German Shorthair mix and he's going on seven years old now. We got him at the rescue shelter at approximately one year old. He was left abandoned in a garage or shed with no food and water for days. When the shelter took him in he was emaciated and almost dead. He's happy in our home and while he still likes to steal food when nobody's looking, we couldn't imagine life without him. 20180628_180820.jpg 20180720_174810.jpg

TimToad

I personally am not a big fan of pets in the workplace. I realize if it's also your home it's different but you cannot legally subject employees to it. First, it's a lawsuit waiting to happen. Second, it's a huge safety hazard. Third, it's really hard to talk to customers while the shop dog is yapping loudly at the customer and the owner does absolutely nothing about it. Very unprofessional. We've actually had customers refuse to come in because of the dog at the front door. p.s. It's a Yorkie.

I don't know how many times our shop pets have pittled or poo'd around the production area. p.s. Not my shop.
I'm a lover of all animals just not so much "pet people". Those who treat their pets better than their children or even remotely like children. Pets do not belong in your lap while driving either. And if your "pet" nips at any of my children they will become wall art. Don't know how many times I've tried going for a walk and dogs run after my children with the pet owner in the yard on the phone and doing nothing about it. My son was viciously attacked by a chow mix while visiting family. He had to have staples in his head. What did the owners do? Keep the dog! Never went back. Later heard the dog bit the owner's hand severe enough to warrant stitches. Still kept the dog! The young couple went on to have twin boys and still kept the dog.

Be a responsible pet owner and you will gain my respect. Otherwise you're an idiot.

Sounds like you need a new job. Your bias and resentment is coming through loud and clear. Your personal experience appears to have colored your perceptions about dog owners. I can't see how you can effectively and unbiasedly work for folks you hold so much resentment against.

As with most things in life and on these threads, every individual circumstance has variables.

Our pet is much better behaved, more socialized, sedate to nearly the point of comatose and friendlier than it sounds like your employer's pet is. We have not had a single issue with a client, employee, or delivery person. The mail carrier actually parks and brings us our mail if she needs to hand deliver other parcels in our complex just to see Lola. She is such a big part of our shop persona that our webmaster demanded that she have a spot on our website and customers actually come in and ask about her.

In fact, our employees look forward to seeing her and bring treats as well as use playing with her as a stress reducer. Just like we do.

We take our work very seriously, act professionally and would never let our dog interfere with that professionalism. That being said, our work place is casual, approachable and friendly to all. You may not like it, or respect it, but our clients, peers and people we encounter daily in our shop would be saddened if we left her alone at home all day. Which is why we don't. She is not a possession to be just cooped up and trotted out when its convenient. She is a part of our family whether you embrace that or not. I'm afraid in a country with 90 million dogs, your view of things is probably in the minority. We vacuum and sweep daily, the dog is well cared for and 9 years old, so potty training happened 8.75 years ago. Accidents like that don't happen to normal dogs who aren't neglected. Ours gets walked to and from home to the shop and once in the middle of the lunch break.

She's not a wolverine, she's a freaking Black Lab mix. I think a worker who shows up hungover regularly or is distracted by his or her cell phone presents a bigger safety hazard. Those are two very frequent American conditions in the workplace.

I totally empathize with you on the terror and outrage the attack on your son must have provoked. As a pre-teen, I was viciously attacked by the landlord's Great Dane in the backyard of the apartment complex where we lived. It eventually fell to its death jumping through a huge picture window to get at the neighbor's dog. That dog was nuts! I was fearful of dogs until meeting my wife and started dating in senior year of high school. I never stepped foot inside of her parent's home for the first few months of our dating. Little by little she would bring her Irish Setter and other mutt of a dog out on the porch and ever since then I cannot imagine a life without a dog being in it.

From your perspective, we are those "pet people" and that's ok. I know how healthy my relationship is with my pet and how I don't look at humans in a lesser way just because we love our pets a lot. We're capable of doing both. We're both pretty realistic about her, and all the other dogs we've had. When they are in pain and can't enjoy life any longer, we do the right thing and are merciful about it. That is our obligation to them.

My spoiling them isn't impacting your life, but humans spoiling and catering to their children's every whim is taxing our planet's finite resources a great deal.

Personally, I don't like people who let their kids run around like little animals, think the world revolves around them and then rule the parents and everyone else's lives and experiences around them. I've been to enough restaurants with others with kids and seen their kids tear the place up, behave badly and the parents think its either adorable or don't leave even a cent of an extra tip for the severs despite having a much larger cleanup ahead of them. I've seen enough spoiled, self-entitled kids of all ages, that i'm positive that it isn't only pet owners who need to look in the mirror about how people are conducting themselves.

We're all free to act on pet peeves as we like. Sorry, for the bad pun.

There was a case in Santa Fe, NM where I had taken a job training to be a 911 Dispatcher and while on duty on day, a man's pit bulls literally killed and partially ate his own elderly father. I took his initial call and I can tell you, it was brutal. There are over 90 million dogs in America, and 4.5 million "bites" with only 30 fatalities, so that case was an enormous tragedy.

Marlene

This is Locutus of Borg, our rescue cat. They shipped him up from a shelter in Virginia to find him a home. Our local Humane Society works with shelters all over the east coast to help find homes for pets.

Attachments

• 15380824_1622044471145531_5792541041290541083_n.jpg
    15380824_1622044471145531_5792541041290541083_n.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 305

Johnny Best

Henly wanted to pose for me this morning. Put a cookie on the desk and he stayed still for a minute. Had four kids so I have had every pet there is, from newts to rabbits.This was a puppy from my son's dogs. Half Jack Russel and French Bulldog. About 6 years old. Has a motor and never stops. Stays with me and goes whereever I go. Stays in truck if I have business inside a building.

Attachments

• henley.jpg
    henley.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 287
This is my best good friend Turtle. Lab/Weimaraner mix. Unfortunately he loves people a little too much to bring him to the shop. Not everyone loves dog kisses...

This is exactly how our dog is. His bark is so big that he can be scary to approach, but he just enjoys meeting new people and making new friends. He will love the crap out of anyone who shows the same level of affection towards him.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Sounds like you need a new job. Your bias and resentment is coming through loud and clear. Your personal experience appears to have colored your perceptions about dog owners. I can't see how you can effectively and unbiasedly work for folks you hold so much resentment against.

My bias comes from years of being around non responsible pet owners in general. And I love my job here. It's only about a 3 mile commute and "banker hours" 8-5 m-f.

I grew up on a hobby farm where we had all kinds of animals. Cows, horses, goats, pigs...Most of our friends or family shared the same views on pets. Years later I find myself in a much more urban area where everybody goes shopping all the while carrying their pets and talking on cell phones. I know someone who registered their pet, if you can do such a thing, as a comfort animal just so they could take it anywhere. We have only 1 family member living near us and they have two large overly friendly dogs, that's not a bad trait by the way, but they jump all over us every time we visit. My wife has gotten several large scratches from it. And has been knocked down several times. They just try and pull them back he best they can. The dogs bark at every little thing. One doesn't like it when they grab a broom to sweep off the back porch. He growls and goes after the broom. He doesn't like if you swat flies on the open back porch either. Both dogs plop themselves onto the couch when we're trying to sit around to watch a game and such. Unacceptable to me. I've had manny a dog in my day and none have acted in such a manner. I do not carry my pet into any store nor have I considered any to be a "comfort pet" out side of my home. A service dog is not the same as a comfort animal. I used to help out my mother-in-law get her Yorkie to the groomer once in a while. Every time it would relive itself on my front passenger seat. Good thing I put down towel.

It's not pets fault. Pets need a little "tough love" just as much as human babies. Consistency is key. You can't see it as cute one minute but try to correct it the next. If they aren't allowed on the furniture a little swat with a newspaper isn't going to hurt them. Eventually it'll just be a click of the fingers or a stern voice and they get it or better yet they just don't do it.

p.s. guess I'm getting crabby in my old age

gabagoo

I have 2 dogs....Max and TJ Both were rescues and not named by me... TJ Max!!!! LOL in any case Max is now 8 years old and and TJ, well we don't really know.He is probably about the same. he was abused and was shipped up here (Toronto) from Kentucky.... He has huge trust issues, but I have found ways to get him to meet and greet people without getting bitten. Used to bring Maxy to the shop every day, but with TJ I just can't take the chance so they stay home and keep each other company...just as well, I don't find dog hair getting trapped in my laminations anymore.

Attachments

• 326.JPG
    326.JPG
    1,015.8 KB · Views: 318
  • 384.JPG
    384.JPG
    937.8 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_1174.JPG
    IMG_1174.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 289

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
Just remembered the story of how I got my dog. He was 6 months old and the gentleman I bought him from(friends cousin) had already rescued him from a hot car at 3 months old(he offered the guy $50 for him to take him off his hands).

His name was originally "Chronic" at birth.

The guy I bought him from changed it to "Chron"

I changed his name to "Kahn" -(and yes I know of Genghis Khan)

The gentleman I bought him from was looking to get rid of him because he felt overwhelmed. He killed himself 3 weeks later.

I appreciated that dog more than any human(I have 4 kids, a loving wife, and loving parents)

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Wow. I don't get how some people love their pets THAT much...

I have a Chiweenie. Nice little lap dog that sleeps all day and is super quiet... not going to say I'm crazy in love with the dog more then people... unless your the type of person that occasionally pisses on my floor.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'd like a St. Bernard...... for obvious reasons.

I love my pets, but in a different way of that for people. Dogs, cats, snakes, horses, bunnies, etc all create our deserving love, while people hafta earn it......... just like respect.