• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Our worst competetor...

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
A few days ago, I began noticing a strange pattern of bird droppings on the mirrors of my truck door. At first glance I thought it was frost, but as the temperatures warmed, I knew it had to be something beyond that.

Then, one afternoon I heard the lonesome call of a Cardinal in search of a Mrs. Cardinal. To my surprise, he was perched on the mirror of the driver’s door, which also features a polished chrome spotlight similar to those used police cars.

As I observed, Mr. Cardinal began to sing and “strut his stuff” at his reflection in the spotlight. As he continued his courting song, he hopped to the passenger side mirror and repeated his routine…boldly fending off his rival each time.

It’s now been two weeks, and he’s still at it…singing at the top of his little birdie lungs, and scrapping it out with the “other guy”. I really hate to get out the BB gun, but my truck is taking a small whippin’ over this.

And as I watched this morning, it finally sank in…

In how many ways are we our own worst competition? (lack of diligence, poor follow-up, neglecting details, overall disorganization…you fill in the blank).

JB

JBusch260

That's a great inquiry James. My worst enemy is second questioning my instinct, most likely rooted in self doubt. More often than not, we all possess a quality that is our own worst competition. I quite enjoy the insight today! Thank you!

In regards to your cardinal issue though, http://www.ehow.com/how_8754357_rid-cardinals.html

Shop cat, or an owl decoy?

tsgstl

alka seltzer, works every time. Birds have no way of getting rid of gasses so they explode. Or you could put bags over your mirrors

James Burke

Or you could put bags over your mirrors

I put a towel over the mirrors...and he took it off. I'd hate to kill him off, because I'd have to do the same when his friends came and did the same.

Time for an owl decoy.

jB

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Could you park the truck somewhere else.... like at the other end of your shop or in a garage ??

A towel will simply blow off. Why don't you go to WalMart and get two toaster covers and throw them over everyday ??

The owl thing won't work...... very long. They'll notice he doesn't really move and then the jig is up.

SignManiac

A few days ago, I began noticing a strange pattern of bird droppings on the mirrors of my truck door. At first glance I thought it was frost, but as the temperatures warmed, I knew it had to be something beyond that.

Then, one afternoon I heard the lonesome call of a Cardinal in search of a Mrs. Cardinal. To my surprise, he was perched on the mirror of the driver’s door, which also features a polished chrome spotlight similar to those used police cars.

As I observed, Mr. Cardinal began to sing and “strut his stuff” at his reflection in the spotlight. As he continued his courting song, he hopped to the passenger side mirror and repeated his routine…boldly fending off his rival each time.

It’s now been two weeks, and he’s still at it…singing at the top of his little birdie lungs, and scrapping it out with the “other guy”. I really hate to get out the BB gun, but my truck is taking a small whippin’ over this.

And as I watched this morning, it finally sank in…

In how many ways are we our own worst competition? (lack of diligence, poor follow-up, neglecting details, overall disorganization…you fill in the blank).

JB

I went through the EXACT same scenario with a cardinal. He perched himself on the side mirror of my truck and went on endlessly flirting with his reflection in the window. Also, crapped all over the side of my doors.

How bizarre is that? I wonder if this is the same bird flying around the country looking for his soul mate?

James Burke

They probably have a nest close by and they are attacking an, they think, intruder.

No nests yet...they're in their courtship rituals, and it's to be expected.

I'm wondering if color has anything to do with it. He first started with our mini van...which is brilliant red.

JB

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
He swore by it, but my grandma said they drove the bird to commit suicide by smashing into her big windows.