• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

out of ink

Dave Stacey

My Roland SP-540 stopped printing saying it was out of Magenta ink.I had checked the menu earlier & it showed there was lots of ink. I took out the cartridge & put it back in clicked continue & it started printing again. 5 minute later it did the same again. i'm showing lots of magneta in the menu again & its still printing. Should I be concerned or believe the menu & keep taking it out & putting it in if this continues.

Thanks Dave

splizaat

could it maybe be a bad chip on the ink cartridge? Do you have an old (or new) magenta cartridge you can take the chip off of and put it on that one to see if it goes away?

Dave Stacey

Thanks for the reply. I ran the machine with 3 old cartridges untill I got a new cartridge.
I then did a manual clean. After I finish I pressed enter & the machine flashes all the inks empty. Anyone have a suggestion?

Robert M

Chips

Pull them out and look at the slot on the side where the out of ink tab appears. if the tab is sticking out they are empty. if not putting them back in should reset the internal ink counter to full. That was how they used to work unless a firmware upgrade has changed something, Anyone know different?

Last edited:

ova

Lately we've had issuses with the new cartridge not reading full on the screen when it's changed. The screen will flash as though you've never changed the cartridge.

Have to pull it out and reinsert it a couple of times.

We're using an sp300v, but I think it's the same cartridge.

Dave

ucmj22

I have had that happen to me a couple times without warning, but as you said just removing and replacing allows printing to continue. I think my printer might not be perfectly level also. I have a stack of all the spent cartridges we have ever used. In a bind I have grabbed 5 or 6, tilted them nozzle end down to let the ink compile at that end and I have been able to print for 8 hours using the leftovers from old cartridges. I dont know if its my printer not being level or just standard procedure to leave some ink in the cartridge. also if I have a color under 1/4 I have to becareful when I roll the printer foreward to access the rear because that motion can cause the ink to move to the rear of the cartridge making the printer think it is out of ink.

Dave Stacey

Thanks everyone. I must of got a extra 45 minutes on taking 2 cartridges in & out. I was concerned that I could get the printer to run at all for a while with all inks showing empty.
I powered off twice with the same results. Finally it went to a sleep mode & then has been running well since