Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outdoor life of pre-painted aluminium sheet?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by SignProPlus-Chip, Jul 31, 2012.

1. SignProPlus-Chip

SignProPlus-Chip Active Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Bluffton, SC
    You know the stuff, just like Grimco and AlumaPanel supply.

I know it's a factory finish, but does anyone have any real world experience with how this stuff wears? Does it fade, oxidize etc..?

Looking at .040" two sided color for an outdoor project to replace subtrate that was originally painted and has faded badly over the last couple of years.

Tags:
  2. ChicagoGraphics

ChicagoGraphics Major Contributor

Feb 27, 2007
    World
    It varies I guess but you should get at least 5 years +.

I have some signs out there that been hanging up for the past 15-20 years, yes the white is either faded or just completely gone, but the lettering is still on them.

3. Malkin

Malkin Very Active Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Augusta, ME
    Varies by manufacturer and color. Around here the darker colors get about 5-6 before noticeable fading or chalkiness.

4. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    a Long time in my experience and if any of my customers took my advice and washe d& waxed them twice a year they'd look good twice as long

5. Sign Up Graphics

Jan 8, 2007

Faded after 4-6 years. :thumb:

6. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    I am looking down the street right now at a sign I put up in 1991. White aluminum with orange and brown Gerber 220. It is up 25' and still looks good from the ground.

7. SignProPlus-Chip

SignProPlus-Chip Active Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Bluffton, SC
    Good to know everyone...Thanks for the input.:)

4-6 years it well beyond what we need to get out of these, so it looks like we will be good to go.

8. SignManiac

SignManiac Major Contributor

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida
    As Bill stated, it really depends on how well the customer takes care of it. Washing and a little wax make a huge difference. I have one up that's ten years old and it still looks good.