• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Outdoor Lightbox Signage

ebuchheit

I'm a new business, and I am needing to order a sign (a type that I am not specializing in). What is the actual sign that slides inside of a lightbox (the fluorescent outdoor kind) called, and where can I have them ordered/printed? I am wanting to design and order a new insert for another business my family owns. Can anyone refer me to a supplier/printer/wholesale distributer for sign shops?

Thank you!!

player

If I am not mistaken, you would go to your local Yellow Pages, look under signs, call your local sign shop and get them to make and install it for you.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Didn't mean to hit the dislike button, but my fingers are fat and it won't let me un do it. :Oops:

visual800

Do what player said. Make a good connection with a larger sign company in your area. This will help you grow

Kottwitz-Graphics

I'm a new business, and I am needing to order a sign (a type that I am not specializing in). What is the actual sign that slides inside of a lightbox (the fluorescent outdoor kind) called, and where can I have them ordered/printed? I am wanting to design and order a new insert for another business my family owns. Can anyone refer me to a supplier/printer/wholesale distributer for sign shops?

Thank you!!

If I am not mistaken, you would go to your local Yellow Pages, look under signs, call your local sign shop and get them to make and install it for you.

So, you've started a business making signs, and you need to order items that you don't even know what to call them...for a business that your family owns...

So why don't you take a few minutes and let us know more about yourself, your business, your experience, and what you would like to accomplish. So why did you decide to start a sign business?

ebuchheit

So, you've started a business making signs, and you need to order items that you don't even know what to call them...for a business that your family owns...

So why don't you take a few minutes and let us know more about yourself, your business, your experience, and what you would like to accomplish. So why did you decide to start a sign business?

Don't have to be rude about this... I'm 20 and still learning.
I make decals, print media, and digital ads. I'm sure there was a time when you didn't know EVERYTHING, as well.
I asked a question, not for a cocky response.

Billct2

There are probably some merchant members here you may be able to help you out. Problem is you need to know what you're ordering and that
will require checking out the sign box, but if you don't know what you're looking for it may prove difficult. Also getting completed face shipped could be costly so you will may have to buy the substrate and get the prints seperately. Thus the best solution is to find a local shop that is willing to do wholesale work and let them handle the job.

ebuchheit

There are probably some merchant members here you may be able to help you out. Problem is you need to know what you're ordering and that
will require checking out the sign box, but if you don't know what you're looking for it may prove difficult. Also getting completed face shipped could be costly so you will may have to buy the substrate and get the prints seperately. Thus the best solution is to find a local shop that is willing to do wholesale work and let them handle the job.

Thanks, I appreciate it!

I make decals, print media, and digital ads. I'm sure there was a time when you didn't know EVERYTHING, as well.

There was nothing rude or cocky about that response. Your response, however, is another story. Good luck finding wholesale signs. Sounds like you're going to need it.

Kottwitz-Graphics

I'm not being rude, just realistic...You come here, asking for info for something that most sign shops know, or at least know the correct terminology... You know, we do see every other week where someone comes in and asks questions because they just started out, and usually the reason they feel like they are getting "ripped off" by the local sign company who wants actual money to replace the graphics on their car, or their sign face, or a new sign in general... My question is geared to find out more about your capabilities...and now I know. I have thought of many responses to your posts, and I am going to take the high road... Your not ready to replace sign faces. I'm going to guess that you don't have the insurance to do this type of work. If you do have insurance, which I am not saying either way, but you didn't tell the agent that you would be doing outside installs. So if you don't have the insurance coverage, so what happens, worst case scenario, if you install the faces incorrectly, and the wind blows them out, and they hit someone, say a kid riding by on his bike...

Your right about me not knowing everything, and I don't pretend to know everything. But I do know about the search function...or google...But when I started out, I started out working at sign companies, and learning everything I could... and along the way, I have learned and done a lot...including driving and operating a crane, engineering, and a lot of hands on. I didn't run out and just start buying equipment and say I'm a sign company...I paid my dues.

player

The first things to know/learn about electric signs is they are custom made. There are standard and specialized framing and plastics, but the way they are built, and the size etc. is going to be different for each sign.

The faces usually have strips glued to the top and bottom. These strips keep the face hanging from the top, as well as keep the face from blowing out in higher winds. Plastic will also expand and contract quite a bit, and this expansion/contraction needs to be accounted for in the size of the face.

These are just a couple of things to consider.

This makes it difficult to just order a face online.

Gino

Premium Subscriber

:ROFLMAO: Okay, while its not alright for someone to ask you questions, it is perfectly fine for you to tell others not to ask you any questions, even though you are the initial one asking all the silly questions...... and then telling us unnecessary things like you're 20....... still learning. What has that got to do with anything ?? I mean, who even cares how old you are, how little you know or how many pimples you have on your face this week ??
As for some of us knowing everything, more than likely it's more than you do, huh ??

Cocky answers run fashionably high in this place, so get used to it....... or it'll eat ya alive, kid.:rock-n-roll:

Marlene

first off, what size is the sign cabinet? does it have a face all ready in it that you will be replacing? I ask as you don't know anything about sign cabinets and it would help you figure out if you need a flat face or a pan face. when you first start out, you won't know everything but with just a little quick internet search, you can at least get some of the terms used in our industry. you don't need to know everything but at least making it look like you tried helps.

player

Nothing worse than getting to the sign, installing the new face, and it doesn't fit.

Or when it is installed it is all wrinkly because it is not the right size.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
first off, what size is the sign cabinet? does it have a face all ready in it that you will be replacing? I ask as you don't know anything about sign cabinets and it would help you figure out if you need a flat face or a pan face. when you first start out, you won't know everything but with just a little quick internet search, you can at least get some of the terms used in our industry. you don't need to know everything but at least making it look like you tried helps.

This place...... :signs101: has a glossary that we painstakingly put together years ago. There is no need for anyone not to understand the lingo if they are willing to learn.

MikePro

acrylic or polycarbonate with translucent vinyl graphics. whomever you're outsourcing to should be able to figure out what you're talking-about just by mentioning you need a new panel for an "illuminated cabinet" sign.

+1 to simply calling a local sign shop. even if you think you can shop it around for less, the shipping cost is what will kill your budget.
have all of your measurements handy, both the size of the substrate to fit-into the frame & the visible opening that the graphic must be cropped-into.
o yeah, and make sure you/your client understand the local sign permit regulations. most townships require a permit/approval even if you are simply changing the graphics on a sign.

p.s. pardon the peanut-gallery & props to you for not tooling-out in response to certain replies, but this is elementary stuff...and it's a monday.