• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Outlook Express - compact messages

Colin

It used to be that my Outlook Express would occassionally ask me to do the "Compact Messages" thing every once in a while, but now it's doing it very frequently - every day! I've gone and done the "File > Folders > Compact All Folders" thing, but it persists. Any idea why, or how to get it back to normal? (There's only about 600 emails in my Inbox).

slappy

tools/options/maintenance

There is an option about compacting but i got turned onto microsoft office outlook cause of issues with express... plus you can do more with the office version

Colin

Thanks Terry, I've done that now, and we'll see if it works. Is that "Clean-Up Now" different than compacting messages? The article said that the "Clean-Up Now" thing might take some time, but it only took a nano-second for me.

We'll see.

tcorn1965

Changes after installing Service Pack 2

The backgound compaction feature is removed from OE after you install WindowsXP Service Pack 2. Instead of compacting in the background, which was often the source of problems, OE now waits until you open and close the program 100 times. After that 100th time OE begins to compact. Do NOT stop this process! Do NOT turn off your computer or put it into Standby (Sleep) mode! Do NOT use your computer until the process if complete! Doing any of these things can cause the compaction process to fail and result in lost messages
Clean Up Now Options

Compact
This will remove any wasted space and will free up some disk space.

If this somehow does not work you can do the registry hack on bottom of article. Just make sure you back up your registry first.

Terry