• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

output color wrong

Michelle

I am having trouble with color shift in raster images. photoshop and illustrator to versaworks everything looks red. any body have the answers?

ams

This is me when I see people using illustrator or photoshop for sign making.

im21Dw

Attachments

• giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    1,017 KB · Views: 296

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I am having trouble with color shift in raster images. photoshop and illustrator to versaworks everything looks red. any body have the answers?

Set the bitmap rendering intent in your RIP to 'Perceptual' and send only RGB images never CMYK.

bob

This is me when I see people using illustrator or photoshop for sign making.

A craftsman does not give undue reverence to his tools. Rather he uses whatever is at hand to do his work.

Hamster

Illustrator have small area for work place, Corel draw better.
BUT problem in VersaWorks!

Last edited:

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Illustrator have small area for work place, Corel draw better.
BUT problem in VersaWorks!

If you're using illustrator, than im assuming you're drawing will be all vector. Do the drawing 50% or 25% or 10% of the size then increase the size in the RIP. It's a vector, you don't loose any details or it wont get pixelated.

ams

I'm curious as to why you believe Illustrator to not be a suitable tool for signage design?
Photoshop I can understand your point of view however.

I've had 3 employees use illustrator, two of which had college graphic design degrees. Every job they did was screwed up. To make a square, instead of using the box tool, they drew 4 separate lines and connected them Which they never merged nodes and were broken apart. With the layers, everything was locked and outputted wrong. Plus every file that was to size was like 1 GB big and versaworks refused to load it.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
I've had 3 employees use illustrator, two of which had college graphic design degrees. Every job they did was screwed up. To make a square, instead of using the box tool, they drew 4 separate lines and connected them Which they never merged nodes and were broken apart. With the layers, everything was locked and outputted wrong. Plus every file that was to size was like 1 GB big and versaworks refused to load it.

That is not a very valid reason why it shouldn't be used. Maybe your or their skill level isn't advanced enough to use illustrator?

I know how to use illustrator very well. I can create signs, Cut files, multiple Layered spot print files and all sorts of things.
Same goes with photoshop.
Just because you don't know how to use a tool, doesn't mean it's crap. Just means your experience level isn't upto the job.

Corwin Steeves

Large format printer to the stars

I can tell you that your previous problems with your staff using the software was clearly between the keyboard and the chair. Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop are the industry standards. When I received a file from Apple I can assure you that they haven't been created in CorelDraw. But if you're comfortable with CorelDraw, more power to you, I've used it and it seems like a solid program, but there is just no arguing with the amount of resources that Adobe has.

papabud

Lone Wolf
i use many different tools. AI is just one of the things i use. and for standard letter cut pieces. its very fast and easy to use.
i prefer vector based artwork. with them scaling is never an issue unless they built it with a silly AI drop shadow.

bob

I can tell you that your previous problems with your staff using the software was clearly between the keyboard and the chair. Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop are the industry standards...

Nonsense, there is no 'industry standard'. The reason lots of specimens such as yourself believe Adobe software to be some sort of standard is due, in large part, to school's almost exclusive use of these tools. This, in turn, is because both Apple and Adobe have provided these institutions with free product.

Corwin Steeves

Yes, lots of specimens such as myself. Lots of industry specimens. The vast majority, in fact. That's what makes it the industry standard.

But, let's Google it and check, I've been wrong before.... ;)

Attachments

• Adobe1.jpg
    Adobe1.jpg
    470.8 KB · Views: 260
  • Adobe2.jpg
    Adobe2.jpg
    511.4 KB · Views: 274

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Nonsense, there is no 'industry standard'. The reason lots of specimens such as yourself believe Adobe software to be some sort of standard is due, in large part, to school's almost exclusive use of these tools. This, in turn, is because both Apple and Adobe have provided these institutions with free product.

This is where you're wrong. There are industry standard software and hardware in many applications. And illustrator, photoshop & inDesign are the industry standard software for design.

It's what most people are familiar with, and usually the best of the bunch.

there are industry standards in many different industries. Nightclubs will always use pioneer equipment. DJs will mostly use Sennheisers.
Product photographers will use Hasselblad.

When you're typing up documents, what do you use? Notepad, open office or MS office?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I think you're all arguing about basically nothing. Who cares what the next guy uses, as long as you can do your job and do it well. Unlike ams's employees who were all fired for whatever reasons, but standards vs. pencils and paper..... whatever works and gets product out the door is all that matters.

bob

QED. That's what you were taught and, by god, that's all there is. Where and when, pray tell, were Apple and Adobe products proclaimed to be the 'industry standard' other than by Apple and Adobe and their legions of young acolytes that feel as they do because they know nothing else? There's nothing wrong with Adobe products but that's not all there is. Not by a long shot. There's other packages every bit as capable and far superior in various specific aspects.

You put me in mind of a hoard of kids that went to school in the 1990's in the newly minted discipline of 'Computer Science'. In the course of their studies these empty young minds were taught something called 'Pascal'. This was a language designed by Niklaus WIrth and it was constructed to teach compilers. It did this in the most convoluted clumsy way possible in order to teach aspects of various real compilers. Unfortunately these kids marched forth just knowing that Pascal was the be all end all of languages when it was anything but that. To them it was the 'industry standard'. Their devotion to this ridiculous language hastened the demise of at least one excellent operating system and grievously wounded a number of others.

Corwin Steeves

at
QED. That's what you were taught and, by god, that's all there is. Where and when, pray tell, were Apple and Adobe products proclaimed to be the 'industry standard' other than by Apple and Adobe and their legions of young acolytes that feel as they do because they know nothing else? There's nothing wrong with Adobe products but that's not all there is. Not by a long shot. There's other packages every bit as capable and far superior in various specific aspects.

You put me in mind of a hoard of kids that went to school in the 1990's in the newly minted discipline of 'Computer Science'. In the course of their studies these empty young minds were taught something called 'Pascal'. This was a language designed by Niklaus WIrth and it was constructed to teach compilers. It did this in the most convoluted clumsy way possible in order to teach aspects of various real compilers. Unfortunately these kids marched forth just knowing that Pascal was the be all end all of languages when it was anything but that. To them it was the 'industry standard'. Their devotion to this ridiculous language hastened the demise of at least one excellent operating system and grievously wounded a number of others.

Bob, that is a false equivalency... or is it a faulty comparison? I can't remember. Either way, whether or not Adobe products are better or not has no bearing on their standing as the "industry standard". For example, Americans still use the archaic imperial system. That unit of measurement is the industry standard in many (most) areas of manufacturing in the US, however, experts agree that the metric system is a superior unit of measurement.

You can say that you prefer one over the other, and as I said, more power to you. But that doesn't change the fact that Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop are the industry standard for design.

But further to that, even though it doesn't NEED to be the superior product to be the industry standard, it also happens to be the superior product, and not because of yours or my personal preferences, but simply because they have put the largest amount of resources into developing it over the years separating themselves from any competition. This really isn't a Ford vs Chevy or Apple vs Android scenario, because in this case, the difference between first and second place is so vast.