• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Output method for LARGE file

TSC1985

Hello,

I have a file for a wall graphic that is ~ 1200 sqft. It is designed at 89 PPI is roughly 900+ MB in size. What is the best method to output this to my rip software?

Bring in as a PDF to scale and enlarge within the RIP software.
Keep at size in JPEG format and run thru RIP software.

We are running Versa Works 6. Anyone have any tips or tricks for printing a file this large? Its going to be roughly 3 boxes worth of material.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
Can you take a small section and test it first? Make sure the resolution and file output is what you are expecting. Just a 4ftx4ft section or smaller?

Reveal1

Hello,

I have a file for a wall graphic that is ~ 1200 sqft. It is designed at 89 PPI is roughly 900+ MB in size. What is the best method to output this to my rip software?

Bring in as a PDF to scale and enlarge within the RIP software.
Keep at size in JPEG format and run thru RIP software.

We are running Versa Works 6. Anyone have any tips or tricks for printing a file this large? Its going to be roughly 3 boxes worth of material.

We do a lot of large scale wall projects and your file 900mbsize doesn't actually seem that large for a 1200 sq. ft. image at 89 dpi. Is it a placed images with mostly vector elements? Sounds like you've already done this, but we always add text and logo elements as vectors which increases their readability and lowers the overall file size. It would seem you can use the full scale size directly in your RIP.

That said, we normally scale down to allow placing the image (due to the dimensional limitations of the artboard size in Adobe products) in AI or Acrobat Pro and output to PDF as we find we get better color and image consistency in our Rip (Flexi) using Adobe generated PDF files. Whatever product you use , be sure to set output not to change resolution of the raster images (usually 'Press Quality') when converting to PDF. Use the tiling function in your rip to print a test section as mentioned by Firesprint. Then just set up tile panels with 3/4" overlap.

Andy D

Is this going to be panels? If so, I always like to create the panels in my design software & send them individually to my rip program.

greysquirrel

not sure if I'd go that way...the rip's ting feature keeps your 900mb file 900mb over as many panels as you need. Bringing them into the rip already paneled just means 900+900+900+900etc

what are the specs of your rip pc? are you using it for design as well? is it a laptop? the problem appears to be there...imo

Andy D

not sure if I'd go that way...the rip's ting feature keeps your 900mb file 900mb over as many panels as you need. Bringing them into the rip already paneled just means 900+900+900+900etc

what are the specs of your rip pc? are you using it for design as well? is it a laptop? the problem appears to be there...imo

I'm not sure I know what you mean, but if you break up a 900mb file into 10 panels with a 1/2" overlap, you will have roughly (10) 92mb files, and the advantage
is if you have to go back and reprint one panel a month later, you will have it ready to print (assuming you didn't delete the panels of coarse)
OP, you probably already know this, but make sure you flip every other panel.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
100in by 100in square converted to 89dpi bitmap saved = 237kb
Make your own 2 panels 50.5in x 100in (.5in overlap) send each separately as a tiff @ 150dpi & using LZW compression. Print file = 3726kb ea

Andy D

100in by 100in square converted to 89dpi bitmap saved = 237kb
Make your own 2 panels 50.5in x 100in (.5in overlap) send each separately as a tiff @ 150dpi & using LZW compression. Print file = 3726kb ea

I prefer tiff files too, even though they do tend to be larger files.
I don't think I have ever used LZW compression, is it lossless?

Last edited:

myront

CorelDRAW is best
I ...is it loss-less?

Not lossless but...
Do your own experiment. Export a hi-res photo of a persons face for instance.
1 as 150dpi "uncompressed"
then another using LZW.
Import them both and superimpose on top one another now alternately send either to the back/front. You will see virtually no difference but the file size will be tremendously different.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
I have a file for a wall graphic that is ~ 1200 sqft. It is designed at 89 PPI is roughly 900+ MB in size.
Has anyone really noticed this part? (I have and believe I've found an error.)

Send the file to the RIP and tile accordingly. It will take care of matters including the error.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I don't think I have ever used LZW compression, is it loss-less?
LZW IS lossless. TIF with JPG compression works well....set it around 10 and get good file sizes.

bannertime

Not lossless but...
then another using LZW.
Import them both and superimpose on top one another now alternately send either to the back/front. You will see virtually no difference but the file size will be tremendously different.

Does exporting at 150dpi really matter if the artwork is only 89? Wouldn't it be reasonable to export at 89dpi?

Andy D

LZW IS lossless. TIF with JPG compression works well....set it around 10 and get good file sizes.

No wonder I have never tried LZW, Corel Draw doesn't have that option when exporting a tiff.
Edited to say, disregard I found it..

Andy D

Not lossless but...
then another using LZW.

You're right, the non-compressed file was around 24mb and the LZW compressed one was 1.3mb and there was no noticeable difference.
Good info, thanks.

shoresigns

I would stick with the PDF. Preflight in Acrobat, fix any potential issues (convert colours, flatten transparencies, etc.), enlarge it up to full scale, then load it into VersaWorks and see how it looks in the preview window.

TSC1985

I thank everyone for you comments, love coming here and getting so many options about how to accomplish things.

We just ran the file direct thru VW6 and it handled like a dream (full size/scale) test samples for now. Tho we did do the Tiff method as well as that is also our preferred method and it these seemed to be no resolution loss either way.

Appreciate all the advice!

Cee84

The correct filetype will be dependent on the type of artwork you are printing.

I've taking 900mb EPS files and have gotten better prints out of a 24 mb PDF.

As a rule for Vector or a combination of Vector (sharp-scaleable) and Raster (pixel-based/ resolution-limited) graphics I use PDF's. They are color manageable, compress neatly and will keep the important data intact (color profiles, vector art, pdf x-4 compliancy). They even have a list of options for converting colorspace from RGB to CMYK and have proofing and preflighting options available through Adobe Acrobat.

I recommend TIFF for continuous-tone items (Full color photos/images). Benefit of being lossless quality, but result in large uncompressed files.

JPEG in comparison is lossy-grade and should only be used for emails and ruining pixels ;)

BMP can be useful too if only making 1-3 color files, but are pixel based, so no sharp lines either.

PNG and other types are not useful in these scenarios.

Good Day!

Andy_warp

I don't think I have ever used LZW compression, is it lossless?
LZW compression is as bad as jpeg...although people will say it's lossless...
If it shrinks the file size...you're losing resolution. PSD compression scheme is the best.