• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Oval Help Neededn in Photoshop/Illustrator

I need to make an oval/circle with exactly an 1/2 inch border around it.

Is there an easier way in Photoshop or Illustrator accomplish this 1/2 inch border?

Is there a way I can input a size for ovals/circles instead of free transforming it?

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

P

ProWraps™

well are you wanting to work in a raster or vector world? there is a simple way to do it in either, you just have to pick your poison.

Any way is fine with me. I'd like to know how to do it in raster AND vector. But more leaning toward doin it in vector since I'm gonna need it in a path to cut it.

P

ProWraps™

create the oval. then stroke it to your dimention. then, expand the stroke/fill.

Vinylman

In IllustratorCS and newer you create your circle { or any shape you want}. While the object is still selected, go to the "object" menu at the top of the page and scroll down to "offset path". A window will open that allows you to set the distance from your original path that will be created.

After doing this make sure that you ungroup this new selection from the original. Them you can make changes to either piece independant of the other.

Hope that is clear.

Mason

In IllustratorCS and newer you create your circle { or any shape you want}. While the object is still selected, go to the "object" menu at the top of the page and scroll down to "offset path". A window will open that allows you to set the distance from your original path that will be created.

After doing this make sure that you ungroup this new selection from the original. Them you can make changes to either piece independant of the other.

Hope that is clear.
Exactly!

dbenec

right - outline stroke or offset path will be the way to go.

in regards to setting the exact size you want - any shape tool (square, circle, star, etc) if you click once on the artboard (don't drag) you'll get a prompt to enter the size you want.

from there use the 'transform' pallette to make changes - rather than scaling by hand.

last note: illustrator uses the center line of a stroke as the point of measure (half the stroke goes in, half goes out) so if you want to scale your art to a specific size, expand the stroke then type the dimension in the transform pallette. otherwise the stroke will go beyond the size you want.

greglauter

An easy way to do it is to click on your oval/circle tool then simply click (Left click PC) one time on the blank document. You should then see a field you can type in for exact coordinates for as many ovals as you want.... PRESTO