• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Oval Sign

sizzlingsigns

I am making a oval MDO sign for a local pluming company. i have routed it and put the full color logo on the sign. Has any one ever put beading around an oval sign? everything i have tried to use so far wont work. please help me :signs101: if you have done this or know how to do this!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What is beading ?? Edge Molding, perhaps ??

Depending on how hard your curve is... you might have to notch it so it follows the curvature of your oval.

We generally just prep the edges real good and build up quite a few coats of paint and the edges will last for 15 years or so.

sizzlingsigns

Yes edge molding. I Really need like a 1/2in over lap. I have tried plastic molding and notched it every couple of inches around the back. But it still lumps in the front as it gets to the climax of the curve :doh:. its a 4ft by 8ft and curves like a football.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
same here gino....on mdo...prep and seal edges...prime...and apply at least two coats of bulletin enamel....i've never had an issue with the edges of mdo doing it this way.....i have on the other hand had major issues using edge cap with mdo...

EDIT: why do you need the overlap??

sizzlingsigns

There couldent be any of the white from the MDO showing. So i over cut the oval Logo and wrapped the excess Vinyl around the back of the sign. So it needs a border so to say to give it a professional luck.

Malkin

There couldent be any of the white from the MDO showing. So i over cut the oval Logo and wrapped the excess Vinyl around the back of the sign. So it needs a border so to say to give it a professional luck.

Experience says that this may not hold up long term, but your mileage may vary.

For trim, glue on some Gem-Lite from Gemini. We did this on an Alumalite sign oval and it's help up great.

If I was doing that project from the start, I would have just painted the edge an appropriate color.

Pat Whatley

Look through Outwater Plastics molding section. They specialize in flexible molding stuff like that. They've even got flexible rope molding with looks pretty damn cool.

Attachments

• rope.jpg
    rope.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 102

N2Harpz

Probably should have painted and finished the MDO first. Then trimmed the logo away from the edge.

Now my first instinct is with Mosh .... Use a heat gun and edge cap.

A photo would help.