• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Overlaminate Issues

Tweeks

I'm trying to make a decal that will applied to a flat surface that will be outdoors. I've been printing my image on 3m 40c vinyl and using 3m 8509 luster laminate with uv protectant. The problem I'm having is bubbles! I called the supplier and they suggested that it was the vinyl outgassing. However, I have a HP Latex printer so this shouldn't be an issue as the ink is dry immediately after printing. I'm wondering If my laminator isn't running at the correct speed for application. I have a GBC Spire II 64c that will NOT go out of safety mode so I'm stuck running at the slowest speed. IS this the cause of the bubbles? IT looks like uneven pressure on the rollers, but i'm wondering if the slow application speed is causing this effect. ANY help is apprieciated!

2B

pictures would be helpful

are these bubbles large or small?
How many bubbles?

the pressure is going to have more of a factor than the speed it goes through the machine.

when you start, does the lamination have "glass" no sags or wrinkles, what about when you stop?
Does the vinyl & lamination track together, or does shifting happen?

Johnny Best

Looks like you answered your own question. Uneven rollers and slow speed. You need to find out how to adjust your rollers to be even all the way across. Try a flat stock 1/4" aluminum bar across your rollers and adjust down on the bar to try and get even.

Tweeks

The laminate is feeding smoothly and straight. It is clean except for the 2 bands where this fogging occurs (as seen in the pic) When I try to smooth the fogging it creates these bubbles.

This only happens with the 3m overlaminate, we have a cheaper overlaminate we use that doesn't have UV protectant in it that doesn't have this issue, and I ran them back to back. The difference is the cheaper stuff is 4 mil as opposed to 3 mil for the expensive stuff.

Attachments

• bubbles 2.jpg
    bubbles 2.jpg
    351 KB · Views: 251
  • bubbles 1.jpg
    bubbles 1.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 233

AKwrapguy

How are you laminating this? Is a roll to roll or flat table? Are they small pieces that your feeding in by hand? it almost looks like you might not have enough tension on the laminate roll and/or the printed material.

Are those bands random or are they every 12". Might be a flat spot on your rollers.

If the line in the pictures is along the width of the laminator I'm inclined to agree a flat spot or even a warped roller if it's constant.

If it works fine with 4 mil and not 3 mil maybe that 1 extra mil is just enough to make better contact with that flat/warped spot on the roller. Have you tried some 2 mil to see if it gets worse the thinner the lam?