• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

overlap on vinyl

appligraphics

my client wants a wall mural installed w/ 1/2 " overlap, but wants the overlap cut away after install. Also the pieces will be horizontal and 13 ' wide. what is the best way to cut away overlap and butt this material that is 4 or 6 mil thick. I cant afford to have the wall show thru, if not cut correctly. I do not produce vinyl so no lux in reprinting

ProWraps

you will see wall. that stuff will shrink back over time. tell your customer the correct way to do it. your the professional, not him.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
This ain't wall paper. All vinyl shrinks and if you don't have an 1/8" overlap, you'll have a problem eventually.

Like Pro said.... you're the professional.

appligraphics

I know I am, I did tell them. but not producing the vinyl I am 3rd party. my client is the vinyl mfgr. and their client is a National acct. No mom and pops here. "their" client wants it that way and I have no say. On top of that they want warrenty.

Time to put my big girl panties on and buck up....It will shrink, and Im not privey to the national acct info.
Thanks for the backup

Malkin

I know I am, I did tell them. but not producing the vinyl I am 3rd party. my client is the vinyl mfgr. and their client is a National acct. No mom and pops here. "their" client wants it that way and I have no say. On top of that they want warrenty.

Can't have your cake and eat it too...

I have little patience for people who play games like this. National account or not, there is a person calling the shots here, and they are wrong.

ProWraps

so they want you to do it wrong, they know its wrong, and they want you to warranty it? hmm. sign me up!

rfulford

I would warranty the product for 30 minutes. They can come in, take a look at the install decide if the seems line up and that is it. The choice of material, print process, out-gas time, installation method have been decided for you. Who is responsible for prepping the surface? I do not see how you can cause this job to succeed or fail. You are not involved in any of the contributing factors.

BTW, may we ask what product you are installing?

daveb

General Know-it-all
Back in the day.... 15 or so years ago a local billboard production co. (first wide format printers in the area) printed on a mat finish material that I'm not sure was vinyl, the stuff wouldn't stretch when applying it'd just break if you weren't careful:omg:. Anyway, it didn't shrink noticeably either, not sure what it was (looked and acted a lot like cal-mask). Maybe, just maybe they've done their homework. Regardless, the manufacturer should be the one responsible for replacement, it's his material, if it doesn't preform like it's supposed to it's up to him.:cool:

G-Artist

Even if the design was printed on real wallpaper there HAS to be an overlap.

You should ascertain the logic of the request first.

The you should tell them, in no uncertain terms, that unlike paper product wallpaper
that vinyl has a tendency to shrink and the seams may not properly butt after time.

The ball is then in their court. If they wish to proceed, reduce what you said to
a writing, have them sign it before the install and file away your copy should they
complain a bit down the road.

You should know that the person who will scream and yell won't be the person
who ordered the setup. The person who did that has moved on or has been transferred
elsewhere. Protect your butt.

appligraphics

The material is IJ 35-20 W/ textured laminate.
I DO understand the legalities, and I know whats right, and whats wrong.
As of today they still want it done this way and I will do all I can to cover my a**, which leads me back to my original question. How to trim this back after install, to cut it, leaving wall showing from the git-go.

I 'm having a hard time just asking how to do this, from a fine panel of experts. Dont be to hard on me, I just want to get this done, "sign here", collect the check and move on....Thanks again for all your fine advise.

J Hill Designs

run a knife down it...I would use almost no pressure, fresh blade, a few strokes to make sure you make it through the lam and vinyl, but not the paint...

and as they mentioned above, CYA and get signatures on your "no warranty for shrinking" disclaimer

MikePro

Time to put my big girl panties on and buck up....It will shrink, and Im not privey to the national acct info.
Thanks for the backup

seemless murals? tell them to consider printed wallpaper. All my murals are installed with flawless seams, install 2panels overlapped -> 1cut -> won't shrink.

grafxxx

just run the knife just like said above. but if you have explained all that can go wrong with it and he is fine with that just have him sign off on it so that way you cover your butt.

G-Artist

You have a dilemma that can only be resolved by practicing in your shop beforehand.

1/2" overlap...do you slice it in the middle and then try to peel apart 2 layers of vinyl that
may be stuck to each other? Or do you try and follow the edge of the underlying piece?
Maybe leave a 1/2" strip of backing paper on the vinyl to keep the two from destroying each other
(vs. using wet on the edge).

13' is a problem as well. Not much in the way of one-piece straight edges that could help
unless you buy some very straight lightweight milled lumber (think case work /molding) that
can be had in 14'-16' lengths.

Curious: if it is 13' wide stock, how high is the wall? And at 13' who the hell is going to see
the seams in the first place?

ProWraps

also keep in mind that if you overlap then cut, everything will line up on the overlapped edge, but may and probably will be off after you cut. happens everytime.

gamerxr72

Well if you absolutely have to cut off the overlap, I'd run a fresh blade down the overlap at an angle and remove the strip left under the overlapping side. After that, I'd put some edge sealer on. If you want to go the extra mile, try some adhesion promoter.

A lot of what will happen over time will depend on not only the vinyl, but the substrate it is on.

There really should be an overlap though.