• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

overlapping print on transparent vinyl

bigben

I got this job that will require to print an image on transparent vinyl without white ink. The effect is to have a ''transparent'' image. My concern is the windows are 7ft large X 8ft high, so I need to put a seem in the middle.

How do I manage this?

ams

The seam will show as a dark line when illuminated, if you butt it together it will separate over time.

bigben

The seam will show as a dark line when illuminated, if you butt it together it will separate over time.

It is exactly what I was thinking. But I hoped that someone would have a solution.

I would butt it together and run edge sealer over where they meet. Same as how I handle perf.

I will try it on my own glass first, but since it's for interior design purpose, I think I will just rethink the whole design.

ams

If you can design it in a way for that seam to look natural that would be best.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Where they butt, have a 1/2" overlap with no printing to one side. Put the first piece down without the overlap, then put the clear part over 1/2" of the printed one and weh-lah, it's overlapped without any real noticeable seam.

Marlene

How detailed is the print? Does it cover the entire area? If not you may be able to make set the panels so it overlaps where there is the least amount of print.

bigben

Where they butt, have a 1/2" overlap with no printing to one side. Put the first piece down without the overlap, then put the clear part over 1/2" of the printed one and weh-lah, it's overlapped without any real noticeable seam.

I like this idea. Thanks. Now I will have 2 or 3 options for them.