Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

overlapping print on transparent vinyl

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by bigben, Sep 5, 2018.

1. bigben

bigben Very Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Quebec
    I got this job that will require to print an image on transparent vinyl without white ink. The effect is to have a ''transparent'' image. My concern is the windows are 7ft large X 8ft high, so I need to put a seem in the middle.

How do I manage this?

Tags:
  2. ams

ams Very Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
    The seam will show as a dark line when illuminated, if you butt it together it will separate over time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Dan360

Dan360 Member

Dec 23, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    I would butt it together and run edge sealer over where they meet. Same as how I handle perf.

4. bigben

Sep 3, 2007
    Quebec
    It is exactly what I was thinking. But I hoped that someone would have a solution.

I will try it on my own glass first, but since it's for interior design purpose, I think I will just rethink the whole design.

5. ams

ams Very Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
    If you can design it in a way for that seam to look natural that would be best.

6. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Where they butt, have a 1/2" overlap with no printing to one side. Put the first piece down without the overlap, then put the clear part over 1/2" of the printed one and weh-lah, it's overlapped without any real noticeable seam.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Martin Denton

Martin Denton Member

Aug 17, 2017
    Manchester, UK
    Put the two options to the customer with the potential issues and let them make the decision

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Marlene

Marlene Major Contributor

Jun 8, 2004
    Vermont
    How detailed is the print? Does it cover the entire area? If not you may be able to make set the panels so it overlaps where there is the least amount of print.

9. bigben

Sep 3, 2007
    Quebec
    I like this idea. Thanks. Now I will have 2 or 3 options for them.

• Like Like x 1