Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paid Vacations

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by JBurton, Sep 24, 2018.

1. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Like clockwork, as the production schedule swells and hunting season approaches, one of my more vocal (and most senior) fabricators starts barking about vacation pay. We start every hire off at 0 vacation days, with 5 awarded at the first anniversary, and that gets doubled after 5 years, once, for a maximum of 2 weeks paid vacation. We also give paid holidays (10 days/year), and two 15 minute paid breaks.
    I just kindly wanted to get a feel for what others were doing as far as rewarding long term employees. He is currently sitting at 10 years, and wanting to get another paid week.

We used to have this terrible set up where they'd tally your hours worked, truncated at 8/day, and calculate your 'attendance', so office staff who show up every day got the maximum potential days, but if a guy worked 80hrs/week every week and happened to miss a day, he'd lose some potential paid hours.

Tags:
  2. bannertime

bannertime "You guys do banners, right?"

Sep 8, 2016
    Arlington, TX
    If you can afford it, just give it to him. If not, don't, and enforce the policy. This stuff gets super complicated when it doesn't need to be. Make it simple. Two weeks earned at the start of the year. Use it or lose it. Enforce absentee/tardiness policies to address the potential issue of people not showing up. They already don't get paid for the time they miss anyway. If they miss too much they don't have a job and you don't have to worry about the time off.

If you're actually working people 80(I seriously hope that's a made up number) hours a week with a missed day, then give everyone three weeks off, or hire another shift.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Solventinkjet

Solventinkjet DIY Printer Fixing Guide

Aug 2, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Anything under 2 weeks for an employee who has been there for over a year is stingy. Having to work somewhere for 10 years to get 2 weeks off per year would make me want to find another job. I am going on 10 years where I work right now and have earned the privilege of having essentially unlimited time off. I took 2 weeks of in August and will take more time off this holiday season. I make sure the schedule works and that there are no conflicts and then I get the time approved with plenty of time in advance. I'm sure I sound like an entitled millennial but I value work life balance almost as much as compensation. When an employer is stingy with time off, to me it's a huge red flag.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 4
    • OMG / Wow! OMG / Wow! x 1
  4. HulkSmash

HulkSmash Major Contributor

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    Yikes, 5 years for 2 weeks?

We do the following -

1-2 Years 1 Week
    2-5 Years 2 weeks
    3 year beyond - 3 weeks.

Also paid vacation, Insurance, dental vision

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. IDB Signs

IDB Signs Member

Aug 29, 2018
    Portland, TN
    Ours is different, since we're an affiliate of a healthcare company. But I get 3 weeks a year paid out dependent on my actual hours worked. They also only disburse PTO from the first of the year through the end of October. So my 3 weeks is divided into the 10 months, and I accrue about 5.9 hours every 2 weeks.

Pretty odd, so I probably was of no help at all to you. Ha.

EDIT: Also, we only work Monday-Thursday, 10 hr shifts, which helps immensely. I can get a 4/5 day weekend with only 1 or 2 PTO days used. So, there are other things to consider that can add value to the employee.

6. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Yea, max two weeks is stingy indeed. People are not robots and need time off for rest, medical needs and other personal things that owners take advantage of during the day.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. TimToad

TimToad Very Active Member

Jun 13, 2013
    CA
    We offer 1 week paid upon a new hire's completion of their first three months of employment. We pay all the major holidays and in our state, all employees regardless of company size accrue up to 3 days of sick time with eligibility to begin after 90 days of hire. So, there's 10 extra days off right there on those two items alone.

I think in the last four years, we've paid under 8 hours of overtime TOTAL, so I don't think the "fatigue" argument has much traction around here with us.

Our shop closes between Xmas and New Years and we pay them up to five of the days off depending on performance in addition to a gift or bonus. Work hard, don't abuse our good nature, show up sober and on time and it earns you an extra week vacation on top of the holidays and sick time and other rewards.

For a company our size, we feel its generous. During the year, we also toss a little cash, wine, concert tickets and at least one or two breakfasts and/or lunches per week.

We're working on a SEP-Ira but haven't had an employee worthy of or reliable enough yet to offer it to.

• Like Like x 6
  8. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I appreciate the responses! I've got it rough being the middle man, my father being the owner and myself being the guy everybody talks to. I get the benefit of hearing all the squeaky wheels, but being a small family owned business, I don't understand why people want time off, isn't this place their whole life too???
    I will say we do give unpaid time off as often as people need it, always trying to keep things scheduled well, but never asking questions concerning medical time off to whatever degree.
    Yes, my 80hr/week was exaggerated, though I touched the net after getting 27 hours over the course of a weekend. We do a lot of bank name changes that necessitate crazy weekend hours every other month.
    I'm curious then, does anybody have a ceiling for PTO? It kinda looks like 3 weeks, but nobody stated a hard limit.

9. TimToad

TimToad Very Active Member

Jun 13, 2013
    CA
    Its a balancing act between being as generous as you can to promote loyalty and reward hard work and the practical financial concerns.

We add another official week of paid vacation after someone completed their second year of employment, but in this day and age of uncertainty and younger folks being so mobile, using short term thinking and transient in their work goals, I'll likely retire and sell the business before anyone comes along that can hold a job that long.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Very good! Generous offerings.

11. Reveal1

Reveal1 Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Cape Girardeau, MO
    We're only three employees besides me, with two that are salary. Our employees start earning vacation from day one with each hour worked (based on 40 hr. week) earning time prorated at the rate of 2 weeks per year, use it or lose it at calendar year end. Goes to 3 weeks after 3 years. If someone needs a week before earning it, I let them 'bank' it and deduct from final check if that occurs. Also seven paid holidays and sick pay 3 days/yr. and pay half of unused sick pay back at year end. (Surprising how few sick days used.) Quickbooks makes it all super easy to track.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Baz

Baz Very Active Member

Up here in Canada the law for starting employees vacation pay is 4% of their yearly salary. It usually amounts to 10 working days.
    And they are shortening the amount of years to qualify for 15 days per year. (used to be 5 years of employment but is now down to 3 years. I think)

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. equippaint

equippaint Very Active Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Florida
    I have a vendor that gives no pto. I thought it was short sighted at first but after he layed it out, it makes much more sense than the bickering that always happens. He simply said that he pays them good and not everyone takes vacations or sick time so it levels the playing field. Holidays are paid though.
    My wife used to accrue time and actually had enough to take off 3 months paid after we had our first child.

14. JHeard

JHeard Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Georgia
    Wow, you guys have it made. I get no paid vacation, no paid sick/personal days, no health insurance, no bonuses, no paid holidays. I have gotten any day I need off, just unpaid. Base pay is decent, typically work 40 hours weeks, not a super stressful job, but a huge commute. :(

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • OMG / Wow! OMG / Wow! x 1
  15. fresh

fresh Very Active Member

May 16, 2011
    nj
    As others have said, 2 weeks after 10 years is very stingy. My first job out of college I think I got 2 weeks to start, plus PTO/ Sick and holidays paid. Hell, we even got our birthday off (or a floating holiday to use as we wanted.)

After 10 years, I'd think 3 or 4 weeks would be reasonable.

• Like Like x 1
  16. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    Yea me too but I am the owner!!! lol

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. shoresigns

shoresigns Very Active Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    Wow, this entire thread has my blood boiling. One week after a year? Two weeks after 5 years?

No employee should start with less than 3 weeks vacation, anywhere, in any job, period. Give your people a ****ing break.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. DerbyCitySignGuy

DerbyCitySignGuy Very Active Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Kentucky
    Three weeks is "a lot" in the US. My blood is also boiling, but hey... Capitalism.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Reveal1

Reveal1 Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Cape Girardeau, MO
    Well, you are entitled to your opinion, but I just don't agree with the moral outrage. Yes some minimum standard should exist but two weeks is pretty standard here in U.S.. I agree that some of my counterparts seem like real cheapskates, but I'm not in their shoes. Who knows, maybe they are hanging by a thread to stay in business in a depressed area? But eventually they will have to respond to the market. Here in my part of the U.S. it's getting harder to attract and retain quality employees so upward pressure on wages, benefits, vacations etc. are increasing due to our red hot economy. The answer is full employment and a growing economy. Personally, I'm willing to sacrifice a little income (which is livable but not what I would consider lucrative) for the satisfaction of knowing I'm providing a good work environment. But it's my hard-earned captial at risk and I want that to be my decision instead of some government bureaucracy determining what is their version of 'fair' as they almost always cause more harm; higher prices, higher taxes, fewer choices, fewer jobs.

By the way, was just in Canada for one of my two weeks of vacation including a day in Vancouver. Lovely part of the world and great people.

• Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. FrankW

FrankW Very Active Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Germany
    In switzerland where I live is a minimum paid vacation by law of 20 working days per year (if working 5 days a week). In germany where I come from it is the same, as in most of the european countries. I have 5 weeks (25 working days) paid vacation.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1