• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

paint and/or install vinyl on sides of PVC foam

bigben

I've got a customer that want a a printed PVC foam 1in thick.

My problem is he also want the sides blue (it's just a rectangle shape). What would you suggest me to do if I want a smooth surface and have colors on those sides. I would prefer to use vinyl instead of paint because I already use this certain vinyl in this store. So color match would be easier.

Thanks.

Sidney

If the customer is leaving it up to you then use the vinyl:). I would recommend using an oil based paint if you have to paint the PVC.

bigben

If the customer is leaving it up to you then use the vinyl:). I would recommend using an oil based paint if you have to paint the PVC.

The edge is not perfectly smooth. I thought I would have to put something before paint or vinyl to have a smooth surface.

I've just tried to put vinyl on a edge of 2in thick pvc foam. It does not stick very well and the finish is not smooth.

signbrad

If you are referring to expanded PVC products like Sintra or Komatex, we paint these all the time. We often apply a laminate to the face and paint the edges to match as closely as possible to the laminate.

We sand first and then spray a double coat of Matthews Tie Bond (plastic primer). After that we finish coat with any Matthews topcoat. The Tie Bond helps to make the edges smoother.

I have not seen 2-inch thick PVC foam. Who sells it?

Brad in Kansas City

visual800

you cant put vinyl on the edges of foam pvc. Get a foam roller and hit with couple light coats of primer and latex

rossmosh

You don't need to prime PVC. Paint will stick to it very well without it. Just sand down the edges until you're happy, prep/clean, and then paint with whatever paint you want.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It's probably gonna be next to impossible to match the edges with that of the face color for several reasons, so, if you can't make an exact appearance, suggest going a different color to make it pop a little more. Possibly a darker version of the blue. Just not some outlandish color. It's an edge, so treat it Iike one...... don't over think it or promise something that could take too much time, money and effort.

TrustMoore_TN

Sign & Graphics Business Consultant
If you use vinyl, wrap the vinyl around to the back of the panel. We do it all the time for 1/8" sintra multi-panel murals to hide the seams where they meet. Looks great. I built a jig that allows me to cut the corners at perfect 45 degree cuts so that the vinyl doesn't overlap itself when it wraps around the edge. You'll have to compensate for the thickness of the PVC as to how far away from the corner you make the cut.