• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

paint chipping on van, need to stick vinyl to it, NEED Help Please.

jbarrio

So we are installing on a van/taxi.
Removing existing decals all over the van and the paint is coming off along with the existing decals.
What can we do in order to prep the car for the new decals and color change that we are going to be putting on.

There are parts where primer is showing and the client dos not care how we patch up the primer spots. Because we will be wrapping the entire van anyway.

My question is, what can we cover the primer with in order to get the vinyl to stick to it?

Thanks in advance!!

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
My advice is that you allow a body/paint shop to properly repaint/repair the damaged areas, allow the new paint to cure properly, then wrap it. If you take shortcuts, you're likely to have failures that will cost you to repair and leave the customer bad-mouthing you.

striper14

So we are installing on a van/taxi.
Removing existing decals all over the van and the paint is coming off along with the existing decals.
What can we do in order to prep the car for the new decals and color change that we are going to be putting on.

There are parts where primer is showing and the client dos not care how we patch up the primer spots. Because we will be wrapping the entire van anyway.

My question is, what can we cover the primer with in order to get the vinyl to stick to it?

Thanks in advance!!

Considering its a taxi its probably been repaired a dozen times at the cheapest rate going..just scuff the primer with600 sandpaper & go right over it. You could hit it with a spray can in a similar color too then scuff it but i'm guessing this is a cheapie job & the owner wont spend any more money & the more you try to fix up these type of jobs, the more they bite you in the ass

hcardwell93

I have a friend that had his minivan wrapped by a hack shop a couple years ago for $1000 "so he would give the shop all his business and refer everybody he knows to him".

It was missing the clearcoat in areas. Now the wrap is lifting badly where the paint was not good. I hear him say all the time "I know my can is a piece of crap and I paid less than half of retail for it but geez it should still be perfect right?! That guy sucks!"

Mister "I don't care" will be quick to badmouth you even though you are trying to help him.

Billct2

To answer the question you asked, scuff it, clean it and hit it with some Krylon close to the color of the vehicle.

2B

when you say "wrap" what do you mean? full wrap, partial or sectional lettering?

With a full wrap, you can get a heated, HIGH-PRESSURE spray unit and blast the car removing as much of the paint as possible then the wrap will cover the removed paint.

if you take this on, and as the others have said this will typically blow up in your face when you hear, "I don't care how you fix it", also learning to declin a project is a lesson that will be greatly beneficial to your health/sanity. Make sure you have them sign an ironclad waiver.

jbarrio

Thanks for all the input. But he has been my client for about 3 years now. We both have discussed the problem and have gone over a bunch of scenarios for the van and its problem areas. He just wants to get it done. So thanks Billct2 for the answer to my question. Im gonna go buy some Krylon and run some tests on some spare material here.

thanks for all the advice guys!!!

Signchief

If it's a full wrap/color change i would use clear coat rather than trying to match the color. Tape off around the problem areas before you spray them. Charge for your time and materials.

MikePro

luckily, I've wrapped nothing but new cars the past few years but, in the past, I've always been a fan of bridging crappy areas with reflective vinyl, and then wrapping over the top of it.

jbarrio

Thanks for all the advice, but what I did was got some auto/car paint from AutoZone. I sanded down the surface with a high grit sand paper then covered up the primer with the auto spray paint from AutoZone. Worked like a charm.

Baz

i would not do it for a customer (have refused some), but i did wrap my shop truck over primer in allot of areas. This has been 5 years or so ago. Even now the vinyl is holding up other rusted parts together.

jbarrio

i would not do it for a customer (have refused some), but i did wrap my shop truck over primer in allot of areas. This has been 5 years or so ago. Even now the vinyl is holding up other rusted parts together.
Cool, thanks for the input.