• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Paint for glass and gilding backing up?

Trip59

I'm just getting back into glass, everything since we opened the doors has been cut and stuck, but I really miss the craftsmanship that goes through a brush and I want to start pushing it more. The tricky part is that it's not something I've done for over 20 years and when I was doing it, I was doing more art type pieces (fancy frames or hanging on a wall) than windows where the backside is exposed. Add into that the fact that there really isn't a paint out there with the same formulation as 20+ years ago and I started to search for updated info.

In doing so, I came across a number of conflicting points on what could/should be used both for glass as well as for backing up water gilding on glass. Oil base/no oil base, lacquer is the only thing, acrylic is the only thing, etc.

I do have a number of projects for my house and shop and a few smaller pieces to do as more of a promotional thing, but I'd still like to avoid putting out crap. What are you folks using or what lines would you recommend, or even a particular vendor (MM perhaps) to go to for product selection?

Z SIGNS

We always used lettering enamel for backing up water guilds.

Or stazon blockout the stuff used for blocking out the crossovers on neon tubes it dries in like 2 minutes.

Trip59

We always used lettering enamel for backing up water guilds.

Or stazon blockout the stuff used for blocking out the crossovers on neon tubes it dries in like 2 minutes.

Lettering enamel as in one shot, or is there a more preferred brand since they screwed up all their formulas to make the environ-mental folks happy. I don't do much striping anymore, but the last couple just didn't hold up like back in the day; I was going to switch to urethane on a friend's recommendation, but shifted to other outlets and haven't striped anything in a few years.

Brush Slinger

T.J Ronan Paints are a bit more like the 1-Shot of old as far as coverage, can add a little hardener to it when working glass or line over the edges with spar. But for gold glass back-up check out letterheadsignsupply they carry many hard to find products for the trade.