• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Paint Mask Questions

neato

I have some questions for you guys experienced with paint mask and acrylic/latex type paints.

I'm having issues with the mask taking some of the letter color off the base color (Also waterbased) when removing the mask. I've read it's better to peel while still wet, but what if you need 2 coats? I've also read that some people prefer to let it dry longer to give the paint time to bite into the base color.

Any thoughts?

visual800

do not flood it! we do light coats with sprayer and rip it off when wet. Latex is "rubbery" and thats why it rips paint with it, gotta take off masking while wet. also for masking we use cheapa$$ vinyl instead of "mashing" cause its cheaper

what are you painting on?

neato

Thanks for the tips.

Don't your first coats dry though by the time you remove the mask?

My coats may have been a bit heavy, I'm coating with a quill.

Painting a small HDU sign.

visual800

you are not allowing the top coat to bite into the second AND when you start flooding over the edge of the masking there is no hope in ripping it off sir, thats why I prefer spraying....sorry

sagesign

I think with oil base you are better off to peel the mask while the paint is wet, but with latex I prefer to make sure it is completely dry. I will paint the mask with the base coat color first to seal off any bleed through, then proceed with the final color. I always use paint mask, I've had an issue before with intermediate leaving some residue.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you're painting a background, regardless of oil or latex, it needs ample time to not just dry, but really cure well. According to drying conditions, time of year and your location this window of time can vary. It basically comes with experience. As for a second coat, if it has to be, it has to be. Any paint going over the mask will most likely dry to mask and background evenly, thus producing a ripping action when removing.

Your other problem is, you said you're applying the paint with a quill. That is probably your biggest culprit. The paint is probably not mixed thorough enough and has weak areas. Also, you probably are not getting an even coat like you would with a roller or sprayer.

My question would be..... why do you need a mask on such a small sign that can be painted with quills ?? That should be all free hand.

neato

Thanks guys, I'll keep experimenting. Might have to invest in a small sprayer someday.

Gino, I'm not a sign painter, just use the quill because I have it. :) I use the mask to carve first, then leave it in place for painting.

visual800

I think with oil base you are better off to peel the mask while the paint is wet, but with latex I prefer to make sure it is completely dry. I will paint the mask with the base coat color first to seal off any bleed through, then proceed with the final color. I always use paint mask, I've had an issue before with intermediate leaving some residue.

i prefer to rip both off when wet. I also do not use oil based as it isnt worth a damn any longer.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Thanks guys, I'll keep experimenting. Might have to invest in a small sprayer someday.

Gino, I'm not a sign painter, just use the quill because I have it. :) I use the mask to carve first, then leave it in place for painting.

If this is the sign you posted up with a single word and clamshell, you don't hafta be a sign painter to do something like that. That's practically a paint by number setup. Ya paint the carved letters and pinstripe, then the background and do the clam last. I'm seeing that as being a separate piece...... correct ?? A steady hand is all that's needed, not a hand-letterers hand. :rock-n-roll: