• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Painted block wall wrap - Envision or IJ180? or other? tools?

jtiii

Beautiful day, great to be alive!
I PROMISE I searched and read threads to try to figure this out - which would you recommend? This is my first wall wrap. I'm planning on buying the 2 handed 3M heat gun roller insanity, any other tools needed?

jtiii

Also, for a wall with this much texture, do y'all like gloss or matte laminate better?

Dan360

We use 480 for textured walls. I wouldn't worry much about which laminate, when applied properly, the gloss becomes quite matte. Use a lot of force and go quite slowly, there's not a huge gap between heating the film too much and not heating it enough in my experience.

We usually only put the stuff on unpainted brick, I would make sure the heat doesn't affect the paint before applying it.

Jayefkay531

For the most part Dan360 is spot on. Use 3M's 480mC, but the laminate is just as important. Definitely go with the 8548G that is recommended with it. We do painted block walls all the time, including inside our own building. Go very slow, about 3"/second, with your heat and overlap just as you would with any wall installation. As Dan mentioned, the gloss finish becomes much more of a luster if done correctly. Work from the inside out and never trap yourself in the mortar channels.

Good luck!

jtiii

never trap yourself in the mortar channels
Thanks for the advice! What do you mean by this?

Also, "work from the inside out" - the instructional video shows the whole "seal three sides, work towards the fourth" thing. Do you do something different?

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
You quickly tack the top/bottom/and 1 side

Then work from top to bottom

I assume the trapping mentioned is if you work your application improperly and close off a mortar joint. With proper installation techniques you should NEVER have this happen

FYI....
We use 480 w/ 8548G lam

Jayefkay531

Thanks for the advice! What do you mean by this?

Also, "work from the inside out" - the instructional video shows the whole "seal three sides, work towards the fourth" thing. Do you do something different?

I don't use the 2 handed heat gun roller, so my installation method is slightly different. With 480, I actually peel the entire sheet and use a paper towel to "squeegie" everything down. This basically holds it in place until you go back with a torch/heat gun and roll everything out with a soft rolly pro. This is why I start in the middle and work my way out. ModernInkSigns had it spot on - don't close off any mortar joints until all the air has been pushed out of it. With proper technique, this will never happen.

Best of luck!

Last edited:

AKwrapguy

We use a heat gun and rolly pro rather than the heat gun roller handle contraption. If you've got deep mortar joints maybe go with a softer roller. I've found that the biggest issue is speed. May sure you go to fast or too slow, once you get that do you'll be fine.

Bly

After doing a couple of walls with a Rollepro we finally got a 3M textured wall applicator.
That made a big difference in the speed you can get these jobs done.
Still slow af but faster and you don't burn your hands on the heat gun tip as much.
images

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
Does the Rollie-pro foam take the the heat required for proper install? 1000 degrees on the heat gun quickly melts my rollie-pro foam rollers!

I only use my Rollie-pros on rivets and some other lightly textured stuff but never for wall installs

jtiii

Does the Rollie-pro foam take the the heat required for proper install? 1000 degrees on the heat gun quickly melts my rollie-pro foam rollers!

I only use my Rollie-pros on rivets and some other lightly textured stuff but never for wall installs
They make a high temp replacement roller.