• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Painting Alumalite

Stacey K

I like making signs
I can't find any silver metallic Alumalite anywhere near me. I assume I can have a local painter paint it and then apply cut vinyl on it and it should hold up just as well? I'm not set up here to paint so I have to farm it out.

In the past I have applied vinyl for the background to smaller signs but I think that would be a hassle at 4'x8' and just as easy to have it painted.

This should hold up just fine, correct?

CanuckSigns

It would take less time to flood the background with a good 2 mil cast vinyl then it would to drive the sheet over to the paint shop.

gnubler

What kind/brand of paint? I was just looking into this today. My supplier is presently out of stock on black 3mm ACM, and it's $50 more than white ACM.

Val47

What kind/brand of paint? I was just looking into this today. My supplier is presently out of stock on black 3mm ACM, and it's $50 more than white ACM.
Do you have a printer? I was looking for your Capabilities, but you don't list anything. You ask a lot of questions... About a lot of areas. But I can't figure out what your real specialty is. :bookworm

gnubler

Though not relevant to this thread, I updated my profile. I'm essentially a beginner in the business, hence all the random and stupid questions until I find my niche.

So is it easier/cheaper to paint ACM? I just quoted a job on this very thing.

visual800

Though not relevant to this thread, I updated my profile. I'm essentially a beginner in the business, hence all the random and stupid questions until I find my niche.

You will need a compressor, spray gun and some spraying experience OR you could go airless which might leave streaks especially in black

Andy D

As long as the painter does a decent job.
I always did a couple random tape tests on painted surfaces before applying vinyl.
Take scrap vinyl or duct tape, apply it to the painted surface and snatch it off to make sure it doesn't remove the paint.

letterman7

Make friends with a local auto repair shop. Properly scuffed and prepped, you'll have no issues. I do this in house all the time.

Stacey K

I like making signs

I'm waiting for the quote, I'll share once I get it. If I were to use 48" vinyl the vinyl would cost me around $112 plus labor to apply.

Stacey K

I like making signs
The painter is mostly a house painter but they painted a large outdoor sign for me last summer in which I applied vinyl to after and they did a spectacular job! They are also a big customer of mine so I like to use them if possible.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Id charge about $250 to spray with automotive paint. Quality paint will outlast vinyl. I hate spraying flat panels, there is no good way to hang them up without leaving a mark and when you spray them flat, they get dirt in them.

Notarealsignguy

The painter is mostly a house painter but they painted a large outdoor sign for me last summer in which I applied vinyl to after and they did a spectacular job! They are also a big customer of mine so I like to use them if possible.
Spraying metallic paint isn't anything like spraying houses. Your best bet is an auto shop.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I know this doesn't help your predicament, but how did you get roped into making a 4x8 panel background..... metallic silver ??

As for all the other replies, I would venture to say 90% of the people on this forum do not have access to a spray booth, let alone in their own shop. I'll bet 1/2 the people in this forum don't even know how to open a can of paint or stir it. Other than a rattle can, these people all push buttons and put vinyl down.

For the vast majority of people here, it will have it's draw backs, but the easiest, cheapest and best looking results will be to put a temporary small wall up at close to a 90º angle. You can make it with 2 horses if you'd like. Put 2 pegs on the floor and set your panel up against it on a slight slant. To be safe, take 2 or 3 very small pieces of wood and drive a nail through it and place it between the wall and hang the nail over the top of the panel. Now, roller your paint on. Wait til it's thoroughly dry and do it again.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I know this doesn't help your predicament, but how did you get roped into making a 4x8 panel background..... metallic silver ??

As for all the other replies, I would venture to say 90% of the people on this forum do not have access to a spray booth, let alone in their own shop. I'll bet 1/2 the people in this forum don't even know how to open a can of paint or stir it. Other than a rattle can, these people all push buttons and put vinyl down.

For the vast majority of people here, it will have it's draw backs, but the easiest, cheapest and best looking results will be to put a temporary small wall up at close to a 90º angle. You can make it with 2 horses if you'd like. Put 2 pegs on the floor and set your panel up against it on a slight slant. To be safe, take 2 or 3 very small pieces of wood and drive a nail through it and place it between the wall and hang the nail over the top of the panel. Now, roller your paint on. Wait til it's thoroughly dry and do it again.
They are replacing their street sign which was silver metallic Alumalite, has a slight metallic finish to it. I can't find it in-stock any anywhere near me. Open to other ideas

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'd simply tell them, the material is unavailable at the moment and they can either wait for it to come in, pay a higher cost to ship it in from somewhere else or you have it painted. Give them a price breakdown of the various methods and let them decide.

Andy D

Id charge about $250 to spray with automotive paint. Quality paint will outlast vinyl. I hate spraying flat panels, there is no good way to hang them up without leaving a mark and when you spray them flat, they get dirt in them.

Seems like you could use large suction cups on the back/top and hang from them, like what they move sheets of glass with.
I think our painter just leaned a few 2" x 4" against the paint booth and had scrap wood screwed in at the height needed for panels

Notarealsignguy

Seems like you could use large suction cups on the back/top and hang from them, like what they move sheets of glass with.
I think our painter just leaned a few 2" x 4" against the paint booth and had scrap wood screwed in at the height needed for panels
We're usually spraying both sides. We have panel clamps but they aren't very reliable and it sucks having your piece fall on the ground while you're spraying. Vice grips are the go to, then touch it up after.
I would flip my sh!t if one of our painters leaned a part against the booth wall and sprayed it. Same goes for using trash cans as saw horses.

Andy D

We're usually spraying both sides. We have panel clamps but they aren't very reliable and it sucks having your piece fall on the ground while you're spraying. Vice grips are the go to, then touch it up after.
I would flip my sh!t if one of our painters leaned a part against the booth wall and sprayed it. Same goes for using trash cans as saw horses.
Understood... Of course Alumalite having a corrugated center, you could run some tie-wire down a channel and hang it that way. (I know you were speaking about panels in general)