• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Painting Aluminum Signs

Stevealex

So I have a customer who wants two aluminum panels on a marquee sign changed out and his logo added. The existing signage background is colored so I need to paint the panels the same before I apply the vinyl. The problem is that the manufacturer of the aluminum product seemed to think the white aluminum blanks might not hold any paint that is applied to it. So does anyone have any suggestions where I can get my hands on 48" x 16" blanks that are paintable with no risk of the paint peeling right off or if anyone has applied paint to white aluminum blanks and how you did it? I have attached a sample for the sign. Thanks

Attachments

• Marquee Signs-02.jpg
    Marquee Signs-02.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 462

Billct2

There should be no problem painting prefinished white aluminum. Scuff lightly with a fine pad or wet sand, clean & paint with a good oil base enamel (or acrylic polyurethane if you can).

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The only good way is to do a proper spray on it. Otherwise, just cover it with vinyl the correct color. Or have a digital print done on vinyl, laminate it and then put it on new aluminum. That old stuff is problem not worth using anymore.

Stevealex

There should be no problem painting prefinished white aluminum. Scuff lightly with a fine pad or wet sand, clean & paint with a good oil base enamel (or acrylic polyurethane if you can).
That's basically what I was thinking so I was surprised when the manufacturer said they would recommend against that.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I agree with Gino... Cover with whatever color vinyl you want..shouldn't take more then 10 mins and cost $10 in material.... or just print. New metal shouldn't be more then $40...covering old metal won't look clean and smooth.

geb

I agree with Bill, clean off decals and residue, scuff lightly, oil base metal paint.

Stevealex

I agree with Bill, clean off decals and residue, scuff lightly, oil base metal paint.
I would except the old panel was engraved and not overlayed with vinyl so its not able to be used. And I cant seem to find any vinyl that matches close enough to the paint. Any ideas on how to match the color of paint by printing without having to have several samples printed first? I dont have my own printer.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Print a CMYK color swatch chart. I know in Flexi you can make one easily. I made it and ordered a 1'x1' from Signs365 and it's gets me pretty close.

equippaint

Painting it is more work than its worth, are the existing ones painted or just faded? They don't seem to match too well as they are now. You may have better luck getting a full print to match than you will be going back and forth with a paint match.
If you must spray it then get white aluminum, scuff it and paint it. It will stick to a coated surface.

signbrad

Stevealex,

Don't be surprised when a supplier suggests that we use caution when coating prepainted aluminum sheets. Painting methods and paint technology for prepainted aluminum and steel sheet have changed considerably since I started in signs long ago.

In our shop we use acrylic polyurethane for most of what we paint, from foam to metal, and everything in between. It is durable and lasting, resistant to abrasion, moisture absorption, and fading. Polyurethane is the standard of the sign industry.

But the pre-painted sheet metal industry often uses paints that are even better than polyurethanes. Coatings made with polyvinylidene fluoride resin, PVDF are a significant step up from polyurethane. Kynar®, owned by Arkema, is a proprietary trade name for this resin. PVDF paints can do everything a polyurethane does—only better. In addition to resisting abrasion and water, these coatings offer high durability when being formed by bending, extruding, and die pressing equipment such as in the metal roofing industry, as well as in the sign industry. Unfortunately, PVDF paints can also resist top coating.

Many of us may be accustomed to simply hand rubbing the surface of pre-painted aluminum with a red Scotch-Brite pad before we paint. In my opinion, this is insufficient if the aluminum has been painted with a PVDF coating. I believe it is important to thoroughly flatten the gloss on this type of paint and then clean it well before top coating. My practice is to use 400 grit paper on a DA sander. 320 paper may work but you may get swirl marks in your finish. 220 paper is too coarse and 600 grit (or a red pad) will work but it takes longer. How do you know what type of paint your aluminum is coated with? You may not. Even your supplier may not know for sure. So, I simply assume that any prepainted aluminum that we buy is coated with a PVDF-based paint and I prep accordingly. Wrisco Industries, a long time supplier of aluminum blanks to the sign industry, sells aluminum coated with Fluropon®, which is a paint with 70% PVDF. Fluropon is owned by Valspar.
Aluminum Sheets - Aluminum Sheet Metal | Wrisco Industries Inc.

Paints with PVDF resins are great. They make for long-lasting aluminum signs and the prepainted sheets hold up well in breaking and bending operations typical to a sign shop. But they need good prep before top coating. I think it is wise to sand and clean even before breaking. You get a better sanding job that way and it's quicker. The old days, when you could just wipe down painted aluminum with lacquer thinner and spray it, are gone.

How aluminum sheet is painted
High production painting of aluminum sheet is commonly done by a roller coating process called "coil coating." Aluminum sheet on a large roll is fed into a continuous coating line where the aluminum is etched, washed, dried, primed and top coated on both sides using large rollers, then baked in long ovens and quenched, all in a continuously moving process, to be coiled back up at the other end. Coil coating is fast, less wasteful and less costly per square foot than practically any other form of painting. Even anodizing of aluminum can be done this way. But the equipment is hugely expensive. And a coil coating line can fill a warehouse-size building. A large coil coating line can process several hundred linear feet of aluminum sheet per minute.

Brad in Kansas City

Last edited: