• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Painting Coroplast

mo15

Hello everyone,

I'm 100% new to sign-making and just got contracted for a small job, just painting some logos for a business. It was originally going to be done on mounted plywood but now they want to use coroplast.

What's the best way to go about painting it? I've done some searching and it seems like a layer of Krylon paint would be best to lay down first, and someone else has tried paint pens?

They're going to be outside, kind of high up and completely exposed to the elements. Would I also need some kind of sealant to make sure it won't peel or anything? If so, what would I use?

Thanks in advance for your help. :)

signmeup

Let's see these logos. I'm wondering why you would paint them. Couldn't you just cut them out of vinyl?

visual800

if you are already talking of painting coroplast you have already wasted time on this project HOWEVER you can always make a solid background with vinyl and then do the vector logo on that. You can have coro flatbed printed cheaper than actually buying coro. i wouldnt waste my time painting it

I would like to see that logo myself

Pat Whatley

If you're painting it you should already be getting premium pricing for it. Just tell them you don't paint on coro and use aluminum.

signmeup

Hey.... I wasn't trying to cause trouble. I just thought it might be a good idea to post up what he was doing in case more seasoned sign people could suggest a better way.

Malkin

Welcome to the forum.

Just a word of advice...
This is not a flea market, nor the crafting corner. If you want to do it right, please let us know and someone will probably give you some pointers.
If not, then I would suggest you look for help elsewhere, because you won't like the responses you're getting/going to get.

(Krylon & paint markers would be the DIY'er way. This is the digital age, put that computer to good use. Or learn hand lettering and use proper paints)

Techman

I'm 100% new to sign-making and just got contracted for a small job, just painting some logos for a business. It was originally going to be done on mounted plywood but now they want to use coroplast.

Firs thing you will learn is to select the correct materials.

If yer goona be a sign maker, then you will learn to tell the client NO!

No to junk, No to stupid ways to make junk and no to taking the cheap way out making even more junk.

Otherwise. Someone will ask you.. Do you run a junk yard? Because if you make junk such as this then you will certainly be well qualified.

mo15

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't have a digital copy of the logos but they're pretty basic. I understand what everyone is saying and I know vinyl is typically how it's done but here's the situation:

The original job description was just to paint some logos, then the dude decided he wanted to use coroplast; I originally took the job because I'm more of an artist (drawing/painting), and that's what it asked for. He didn't want to pay a professional because he has a tight budget, so I said I'd do it for cheap and he'd allow me to put name/contact info on the sign. I'm no professional (yet), so signmaking never really even entered the picture until now.

In short, due to all these circumstances, I know next to nothing about vinyl/how to cut it and likely don't have any of the proper tools, and I'm on a timeline and a budget as well.

Or learn hand lettering and use proper paints)
This is what I'm asking, what would "proper paints" for such a project be? Or should I just scrap the whole thing and tell him to actually get a professional to do it?

AUTO-FX

you'd be wasting your talent and time painting on coroplast. please dont facilitate some joker who just wants save a few bucks. make him pony up and atleast paint a board with One Shot or dont do it all:thumb:.

Jillbeans

It is a waste of time.
Won't it be embarrassing to have your name on all those corosigns when they fail after a year?
I have painted coro in my early days, just quick snap sho-card style using 1 Shot lettering enamel and a foamie. The black paint wants to peel back off for some reason.
These were just Christmas tree lot signs.
If you are going to put that amount of time into painting, chose the right substrate.
SK is Skatchan, right? Those won't last too long out in the cold.
Upsell him to aluminum or dibond.
Or let him walk, you're better off.
And never tell a customer you will do something cheap.
That's the worst first step a new business can make.
Love....Jill

Pro Image

If he wants Coro.....Then sub the lettering to someone with a vinyl cutter.....Apply the vinyl and make some money........EASY.......

Pat Whatley

Again....painting the logos should cost him more than doing it in vinyl. Sub the damn job out to somebody who can knock it out in vinyl if he wants cheap. If he wants it painted do it right.

If you're insisting on painting the damn coro my suggestion is going to be to use Nazdar 7900 Series Corogloss Ink. It's about the only thing I can think of that's going to hold to coro as a long term solution. It's not cheap, about $40 a quart, but it will last. Priming with Fusion and painting on that is good short term but I haven't had any luck with that working more than six months.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Based on your post #12, it appears you really might be here for the wrong reason.

Just because your customer wants to be cheap and not use a professional, doesn’t really give you the right to come here and take information to also rob a professional in your area from the job.

You see, you’re aiding this cheap-skate by helping him by-pass one of our own sign folks.

You admitted you know nothing about this industry and most here could tell by your opening post, but if you’re not serious about learning this industry as a trade, I’m afraid you’re wasting your time. You also admitted to lowballing by telling him you’ll do cheap. That’s an even bigger NO~NO on these boards. You’re already breaking many of the conditions and unspoken words of this site.

As in your last sentence, please re-think your reasons for being here and do the right thing for all involved. :thankyou:

SignManiac

Out of curiosity, how many signs are you supposed to paint, what are the sizes, and what was the price you agreed to do them for? I'd like to see if he really is saving any money by using you compared to a so called professional. Because unfortunately, some of today's so called professionals are rediculously cheap, to the point of doing exactly what you may be doing, and that is hurting this industry by under charging.

Freehandan

Well just listen to all theee Offended!! "Doesn't give you the right"..."this is not a flea market or a crafting corner"!!
Who let the nazeees in here!?
Go aluminum, it is not much more in cost. OR get vinyl plasticman/no-skill consumer scab letters for the coro- that some self righteous, tech enabled bureaucrat can supply you for the remainder of your profits. ( tape-files-cutter- weeding- squeegy, spraybottle-better be str8 and do it right or you will buy and buy and buy more plastic! Or let them do it and make a commission only and walk away!)
Jill is right.
Only paint coro if it will be for the inside and oneshot is the best and most forgiving with that, I have found. There is one sign i painted sitting in a window in the sud every day for the past 8 years that looks great, INSIDE though. And no cold like that here affect it.

..You could always just cut all the text out of construction paper and spray-glue them to the coro and install the sign while they are not there and collect aND RUN!!!
lIKE DINE AND DASH!! sIGN AND CASH AND DASH!! tHIS IS THE JOKE PART OF MY POST, 4 ALL THE ....SELF PROCLAIMED MONITORS!!

Brandon708

Hey freehandan stop bumping all these old ass threads and ranting about hand lettered signs. I'm glad your using the search function but gees take a chill pill.