• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Painting Dibond

mesheau

Hey All,

Quick question. I'm painting dibond and mounting dimensional letters to it. Wondering if the dibond should be cleared?. I've go three coats down already, dibond was scuffed. Just seems to be really delicate and scrathes easy. Used exterior acrylic.

Thanks!

How are you painting it?

I would have base coated and clear coated. like an automotive finish out of a air gun sprayer. You can also get single stage automotive paints. but i always like base coat/clear coat.

mesheau

Just applying via roller. The sign will be mounted on the side of a building. I'm more so worried the installers won't be gentle and end up scratching.

The colour was to be matched to existing trim so a BM code was given, I guess I could matched with auto single stage but I went this route. I'm thinking a good clear should aid in the durability? No?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Send plenty of 'Touch Up' along and tell your installers, if you have a complaint from the customer about all the scratches and paint smears, the installers are gonna pay to do it over. :noway:

We would have scuffed it with steel wool, cleaned and painted with oil base enamel. We've had great luck at the local Home Depot store getting the Rustoleum white tinted to match about any lighter color. Dark colors not so much because Rusto loads the cans so full you can't get enough pigment in it without the can overflowing. Oil base paint is still the only thing I'll use for outdoor metal surfaces.

petrosgraphics

sprayed a lot of dibond with ben moore oil base metal/wood enamel. always try to use the matt side to paint. scuff with 400 paper, 2 or 3 light coats then a flow coat. never really had a problem.

threeputt

I'm afraid that I have to agree with others that state only use oil based enamels. Scotchbrite or 300 steel wool surface. Prep well before painting.

Pat Whatley

Stick a piece of masking tape to the sign...snatch it off....if the paint comes off flip the panel over and paint the other side with oil based enamel.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Scuff the White aluminum finish with a Scotch-Brite pad.

Clean w/ iso alcohol a couple times and paint with oil base enamel.

Should sticks like baby **** on a blanket...

Salmoneye

Has anyone tried 100% acrylic DTM (direct to metal) paint on die bond? I used it on some galvanized once and thought that it worked our really well. We use oil based for most stuff as well but I think this stuff actually had higher gloss retention numbers if I remember right.

player

Scuff the White aluminum finish with a Scotch-Brite pad.

Clean w/ iso alcohol a couple times and paint with oil base enamel.

Should sticks like baby **** on a blanket...

I recommend being cautious with alcohol on some paints. The alcohol can soften the paint. If that happens use a different based cleaner. I think the alcohol attacks some water based paints.