• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Painting on different surfaces

Signsofhope

Howdy to all. I am new to Signs101. It's good to see so many people involved in making signs.

I've been a calligrapher for about 25 years and have recently decided to try my hand at transfering this skill to making signs- barnwood signs, tin signs, etc.

I've gotten my feet wet with a couple of barnwood signs using acrylic and One Shot. I hate to sound like such a newbie, but I'm a newbie. Can anyone provide me help in growing in this craft. Type of paints to use. Information/courses on developing the skill in letterforms, brushes for italic, etc.

Thanks.

OldPaint

thats a long drawn out answer........your covering many things. 1 shot, ronan, automotive paint, krylon spray cans.....all can be used in different applications. paint on old barn wood, may require a primer, top coat, 2-4 coats of a color.....as you work you will learn...

John Butto

Wikipedia: A contemporary definition of calligraphic practice is "the art of giving form to signs in an expressive, harmonious and skillful manner"

After 25 years at this you could probably tell us more on how to do things than we know how to do things.

Jillbeans

I have had good results with using Ronan on barnwood. The first coat sucks in the paint and kinda like makes a seal. Then you can add another coat for more color.
I love the rustic way this looks.
You could probably also do and entire first layer using 1Shot's tinting clear (if they still make it) then after that dries adding the second layer of colors you want.
I prefer using those cheap China bristle brushes for this or a good fitch.
The barn wood is too rough to risk my sables.
Love....Jill