• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Painting over full wrap

fresh

We have a client who bought a used extra-large trailer, complete with crappy, old, faded, full wrap including the former companies name and logo all over it. Of course no one wants to spend any real money to remove this monstrosity, so I'm here to ask for your advice.

I had an idea to literally paint over the wrap, and then just stick some letters on top. Has anyone ever done this? I haven't even seen the actual trailer yet (only pictures), so I don't know if the wrap is laminated or not. But I have a feeling its not laminated due to the extensive fading across the wrap. Also, I'm sure this isn't going to look great, but he doesn't want to invest in old equipment. He doesn't think the trailer is going to last more than a few months.

My other idea is to simply wrap over the existing graphics. My main concern with this is those freaking rivets. How well will wrapping over wrapped rivets wear? :peace!:

Does anyone have a better idea? Normally I would ignore these types of customers, but this is actually one of my best clients... And he typically isn't a cheapskate, so I will honor his request to find the most economical solution to this problem. Just this one time.

jfiscus

Rap Master
I cannot see how a customer would buy a trailer "for only a few months", never seen that before - but I have heard it. See who in your area sells hot water pressure washers, and ask if they can bring a demo model by for you to try out, or see how much renting one is at a local tool store. Blast that sucker off of there, and if it takes paint off; it shouldn't matter much since the plan was to paint it initially; right?

With a clean surface, you can throw fresh paint on the trailer or use some ghost-off or Comet & see how well it cleans up.

Anything going over top of the old crappy wrap will look almost as old and crappy as what's on there currently, it'll just say something different. I'm sure both you and your customer have SOME standard of reputation to keep up in the community, and an ugly cover-up is probably not something either of you want to be known for...

fresh

I would at least try removal with a hotsie PW or steamer first

I told him to get one of his guys to see how hard it is to pull off. Its a 20 ft trailer, and honestly we are more worried about the condition of the paint if we decide to remove the old vinyl. He really doesn't want to spend $4K (most likely more) to re-wrap the whole thing if the surface looks like crap.

Haakon

Can't remember where (but I think it was on here) I've seen a link to a video of someone spraying down a full trailer with some kind of vinyl/glue remover, and then just pressure wash it right off. Looked like a very effective solution to remove old wraps.

laserline

I had the same issue here last week, spent 35 hours removing a 12 year old wrap from one side of a 53' van. The customer has tried painting the other side with 3 coats of Kilz paint over the old wrap. We'll see how happy he is in a year or 2, it looked ok to him for the short term.

fresh

I cannot see how a customer would buy a trailer "for only a few months", never seen that before - but I have heard it. See who in your area sells hot water pressure washers, and ask if they can bring a demo model by for you to try out, or see how much renting one is at a local tool store. Blast that sucker off of there, and if it takes paint off; it shouldn't matter much since the plan was to paint it initially; right?

With a clean surface, you can throw fresh paint on the trailer or use some ghost-off or Comet & see how well it cleans up.

Anything going over top of the old crappy wrap will look almost as old and crappy as what's on there currently, it'll just say something different. I'm sure both you and your customer have SOME standard of reputation to keep up in the community, and an ugly cover-up is probably not something either of you want to be known for...

I live on the Jersey Shore. You have no idea what it is like down here right now. There is so much work that needs to be done, people are going through tools and equipment like you don't know. Tree guys are replacing chainsaws every few days, everyone is buying new trailers, dump trucks, pick-ups. I feel stupid even sharing this info with the world... The number of storm chasers who have popped up is nuts. I don't want to invite more outsiders into our communities. There are enough strangers lurking about as it is.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So, when this mental midget bought a used trailer, he gave no thought whatsoever to removing this ugly worn out wrap and putting that into his negotiating offer. Or if he did, he doesn't wanna part with it now.

I'd tell him, yeah, we paint overtop them all the time. Since you're going this route, we can't stand behind our work once it leaves our premises, but sure, it can be done.

Have him sign a paper and get him in & out as fast as possible. Get ALL your money before he leaves.

What a bozo he must be...... ??

fresh

I had the same issue here last week, spent 35 hours removing a 12 year old wrap from one side of a 53' van. The customer has tried painting the other side with 3 coats of Kilz paint over the old wrap. We'll see how happy he is in a year or 2, it looked ok to him for the short term.

A year or two is more then enough for him. I think he is planning on only using this trailer for a few months before getting a new one. So this is good news.

tsgstl

sounds like there is enough work around town to spend to much time on a cheapskate that doesn't want to do it right

fresh

So, when this mental midget bought a used trailer, he gave no thought whatsoever to removing this ugly worn out wrap and putting that into his negotiating offer. Or if he did, he doesn't wanna part with it now.

I'd tell him, yeah, we paint overtop them all the time. Since you're going this route, we can't stand behind our work once it leaves our premises, but sure, it can be done.

Have him sign a paper and get him in & out as fast as possible. Get ALL your money before he leaves.

What a bozo he must be...... ??

You are actually wrong on many levels. He's a great client of ours who has no problem paying for quality products. This is a temporary solution, which is why he is budget-minded. When he purchases a new trailer, he will have no problem investing in proper signs for it. For now, I'm willing to at least investigate options. If nothing works sufficiently, then he's just going to have to pay to do it properly.

tsgstl

You are actually wrong on many levels. He's a great client of ours who has no problem paying for quality products. This is a temporary solution, which is why he is budget-minded. When he purchases a new trailer, he will have no problem investing in proper signs for it. For now, I'm willing to at least investigate options. If nothing works sufficiently, then he's just going to have to pay to do it properly.

then just wrap over it with cheap stuff and hope for the best. Don't some mass transit do this?

tsgstl

yeah they do, use a inexpensive with rapid air type adhesive its not as ez but it is possible. As long as the customer knows it.

fresh

yeah they do, use a inexpensive with rapid air type adhesive its not as ez but it is possible. As long as the customer knows it.

SHWEET. He already knows its not going to be the most pretty thing on the street. He's more concerned that he gets his name out there. Thank you for the info.

tsgstl

I had a similar situation with 10+ year old graphics on it (not a wrap) and we did the same thing. We used good oracal wrap film but the customer didn't want to spend the extra time or money to remove the old vinyl. The truck was only purchased to park by the road. Its still there 5 years later and looks great driving by at 45 mph. I have put the worst thich calendered vinyl over rivets before, you get slammed for it around these parts but sometimes it only matters what you and the customer are comfortable with.

fresh

I had a similar situation with 10+ year old graphics on it (not a wrap) and we did the same thing. We used good oracal wrap film but the customer didn't want to spend the extra time or money to remove the old vinyl. The truck was only purchased to park by the road. Its still there 5 years later and looks great driving by at 45 mph. I have put the worst thich calendered vinyl over rivets before, you get slammed for it around these parts but sometimes it only matters what you and the customer are comfortable with.

I like you.

tsgstl

just remember to get rid of any troubled spots that are separating from the trailer. Your "cheap fix" is only sticking to whats there. If the original wrap fails its taking yours with it

EDIT: I'm glad you like me, my comments in this thread just lost me what little credibility I had here for those who read it