• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Painting Palight Outdoor Pvc

SW101

Hey guys,

I recently added palight outdoor pvc to my substrate portfolio and I really like the stuff. However, I wanted to check with you all and see what kind of paint you recommend using on it? I normally use industrial oil based paints on my MDO but I don't believe solvent paint would be compatible with the pvc, is my thinking correct here?
Also if it is simply going to be a white sign, is it safe to put outside with no prep work at all? Thanks!

TammieH

You really have to take care how you use PVC outside. Its not a great material in extreme temps, it breaks/cracks easily if not properly installed
Unpainted exposed edges will mildew quickly.

Sintra sheets information

From the above website...
10. What happens to Sintra when used outside?
• Sintra will change colors when used outdoors. The amount of color change depends on the original color, UV levels, and other exposure conditions. This is true of all materials that use organic pigments.

• Sintra expands and contracts with temperature changes. This must be taken into account when mounting large sheets of Sintra outdoors.

• Sintra, like most plastic materials, has less impact resistance in cold conditions. Thinner gauges have less impact resistance than thicker ones. For this reason 6mm should be the minimum gauge used for outdoor signage.
11. Why must I keep Sintra under 150F?
Foamed extruded plastics contain internal stresses. These stresses relieve themselves at elevated temperatures. If Sintra is allowed to reach 150F it will no longer remain flat and will warp and bow.
12. Can I paint Sintra?
Sintra can be easily painted using PVC compatible paints. Recommended paints include: vinyl's, acrylic lacquers, and two-component polyurethanes. The use of primers is not normally required. The surface should be cleaned with isopropyl alcohol.